Backing Local Projects - Original Music Workshop
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Backing Local Projects - Original Music Workshop

by sbriggman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:48 pm

I just backed this project on Kickstarter: Original Music Workshop Start Up Funds!

"OMW, a Brooklyn-based nonprofit, provides state of the art facilities and support to a wide range of composers, musicians, and artists."

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 2.48.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 2.48.14 PM.png (387.3 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

It kind of makes me think of an incubator/coworking space for artists. There are coworking spaces for startups (I am a part of one in Greenpoint, Brooklyn), why shouldn't there be the same types of spaces for artists?

I haven't done it much before, but now I'm becoming more interested in backing local projects because it can have a say on how the community develops over time. True, we all pay taxes which technically goes to "local projects." I wish we could vote on tax projects by having a Kickstarter for the funds we've already given to the state or local district and then allocate those funds via the web rather than having them decide.

Anyway, I don't expect the project to be successful based on their current progress, but I shared it on my social networks and hope we can bring some more awareness to local initiatives on Kickstarter. In addition, how cool is it that you can actually meet the creators of the project in person after it is over?

Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • Ildiko Davis
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Backing Local Projects - Original Music Workshop

by Ildiko Davis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:36 pm

I agree with you that it is great to be able to support local initiatives that you can really relate to. What I like about many projects is that relatively small amount of money can make a big difference to some people - and local projects often seem to give a lot for your bucks like that.

Perhaps the difficulty for this local project is that they are asking for quite a bit of money. This kind of amounts probably can only be achieved either by getting worldwide exposure for their project or some very rich backers.
  • Pprestinivia
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Backing Local Projects - Original Music Workshop

by Pprestinivia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:25 am

Hello! I'm the director of Original Music Workshop and I want to thank you so much for your support! The project is indeed going forward as we just completed a capital campaign. Our hope with this campaign was to reach out to our community and Kickstart the nonprofit angle of our space as we've now finished the capital fundraising. It's getting there! I love Kickstarter for its small and large projects and though this is a large amount were trying to raise it's a music venue that will benefit many many artists and serve a large population....
    In any event I just wanted to thank you for backing and hope to see you at OMW!