-- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Just backed 'The Gift-Knight's Quest' Fiction Book

by sbriggman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:16 pm

I just backed Dylan's campaign 'The Gift-Knight's Quest.'

Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 11.15.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 11.15.38 AM.png (425.96 KiB) Viewed 2624 times

What is "The Gift-Knight's Quest"?

The Gift-Knight's Quest is an ambiguous-magic fantasy set on a large continent with a massive inland sea. This novel concerns the youngest descendants of two families which have traditionally been enemies: the Kenderleys, who now rule the world's largest empire, and the Wancyeks, who have been reduced to common status and have lived quietly in a chunk of their former empire for over a century.

How you can bring this to life

To launch this novel is to launch its series, not to mention my career as a novelist. The manuscripts for two sequels are already written, and I'm plotting three other books on a separate story arc in the same world.

I had a chat with an interested self-publishing company that can assist me in all aspects of launching this novel, beyond what my helpful crew of artists and friends are already doing. This company can:

- cover all basic production including layout, ISBN, bar code and QR code, typesetting and proof revisions

- print at least 100 copies in 6 x 9 perfect bound paperback (useful not only for all perks involving paperbacks, but also donating copies to select libraries in Toronto and Vaughan and copies for reviewers and bloggers to get this novel widely written about and known)

- conversion to ePub and Kindle formats and distribution worldwide

- wholesale and retail trade distribution and marketing in the USA, UK, Canada, and potentially worldwide

- ongoing help and advice for marketing and sales of both ebook and paperback versions

These are just the basic services provided, and the established minimum funding goal easily covers these costs, plus some of the costs of shipping physical perks to backers, and paying Kickstarter fees owed upon the successful funding of the campaign. All funds raised up to the minimum goal will enter a budget for creating and marketing "The Gift-Knight's Quest" on an ongoing basis. Any funds raised beyond the minimum can buy premium level service packages from the same company, improving the novel's availability worldwide. In the strange event that funding extends unimaginably far beyond the goal, and beyond the price of premium services I find to be beneficial to the novel's distribution, I can find an immediate use for any extra funds: they can make for added compensation to artists who generously contributed to this and to Danced To Life, should they accept; they can definitely go toward shipping costs that I otherwise expect to cover privately; they can always go toward the next book(s) in this series. See the very end of this write-up as well for one other thing.

What you can get in return for support

See the perks on the right-hand column of this page. Summary: ebook and paperback copies of the story that we will have brought to life, a postcard, an autographed print, tickets to a Toronto-area themed event, and my sincere thanks, in various combinations.

There are also character sketches and art, inspirations and rough draft portions excluded from the final version, and other excerpts which can be unlocked solely for project backers as we pass funding thresholds (every $500 - 500, 1000, 1500, for example). The sooner you back this project, the easier it is to automatically get more unlocked bonuses, for the simple reason that if you join before a threshold is passed then you have joined in time to receive that email and all emails after it. If you want earlier/missed unlocked items, you will have to contact me so that I can send them to you.

Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    dylanmad

Re: Just backed 'The Gift-Knight's Quest' Fiction Book

by dylanmad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 am

Thank you so very much for backing this project. It means so much to me, it's very much trying to make thrive a part of who I am, though to be perfectly fair many business ventures are personal to their creators. The foundation of my backer base here has been (extended) family and friends, and they aren't exactly tapped out, but the big fight for me now is to do whatever I need to do to convince strangers that this is worthy of their backing. I have been on forums, FB groups, Google+ groups, discussing the process, trying to connect with others in a very direct and human way, taking a sincere interest in their projects, and at the same time sharing snippets and artwork to try and show what this is.

I feel like there is a deficit of visuals--the two book trailers debut October 11 when that marketing event admission will bear fruit, and those book trailers are far and away better than my campaign video, but I have promised to make Oct. 11 the world debut of them. I have artists working on a map (a fantasy genre staple), character sketches (one so far, apart from Derek on the cover there), and I'm really going to make sure they come through within the next week so that I have new compelling visuals to share. Even if you're selling writing, visuals must be important, I gather. So anybody recommending more visual subject matter, I agree and I'm pushing for that.

One key thing I expect could be persuasive are a list of reviews, but so far I have managed to get one. For self-pubs this can be a nightmare, so many places don't review self-pubs, or are so swamped they won't have reviews done until after September 30, or have even said "oh we review fantasy, but not medieval fantasy, sorry". I'm grateful for the one review, though I wish it could have been on a more active blog, Lacie Redding is more active on Goodreads and Amazon and we needed an interim place to put that review.

I'm just giving it a lot of elbow grease now and not giving up, hoping for that legendary large last week to close that 47% gap to the finish line.

Once again, thank you for backing and promoting this project.
  • YourBoyLethal
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by YourBoyLethal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:12 am

Same here
    dylanmad

by dylanmad » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:21 am

Just hit 70%! Hope more people jump in to close that gap in this last week or so.