Review of Indiegogo
  • onthewaterlifestyle
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: Review of Indiegogo

by onthewaterlifestyle » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:08 pm

The interface of Indiegogo is flexible and very easy to use. I did not have any problems getting images, wording or video in place to launch our first campaign.

Cheryl
    http://igg.me/at/GulfCoastWaves

VirginiaMcClain
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by VirginiaMcClain » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:21 pm

I'd love to hear from more people on this front as well. I ultimately went with Kickstarter because I didn't want to have to deliver a half-assed project if I didn't fund successfully and I thought that more people in my target audience would have heard of Kickstarter already and been less intimidated using it. That said, it seems like there are lots of good reasons to use indiegogo. I'm at 53% funding with only 8 days to go at the moment, and if things don't work out maybe I'll do a totally no frills campaign on indiegogo. Hmm...
    Author of Blade's Edge: Successfully funded on Oct. 8th 2014 on Kickstarter: http://kck.st/1xyBEAC
  • hunterffs
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by hunterffs » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Hello, my LLC initially started using both Kickstarter and Indiegogo. We mistakenly went with Indiegogo because their sign-up seemed easier. However, I would strongly recommend Kickstarter and avoid Indiegogo at all costs. Indiegogo is unprofessional, unhelpful, has a high fee, and unless you already have a horde of fans waiting in the wings, you will get no stranger traffic and fail miserably. I kept asking them, how do I improve my visibility? They had no answer other than you need a lot of people to go to your campaign and donate (well, if I had a lot of people to go to my campaign and donate I wouldn't be asking now would I!). It is a Catch-22. Also, Indiegogo has many scammer vultures circling the drain ready to pounce on your failure (I received five comments within the first week of the campaign saying they would help my campaign or blog about my campaign if only I would pay them). Indiegogo is not a good choice and I would avoid them at all costs.
  • editorskeys
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by editorskeys » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:52 pm

We've just launched on Kickstarter, do you think it's worth putting the campaign on Indigogo at the same time?
  • TrevorL
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by TrevorL » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:06 pm

James Mathe posted a comprehensive comparison of Kickstarter to Indiegogo here:

http://www.jamesmathe.com/indie-no-go/
  • JenSTI
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by JenSTI » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:22 pm

I have 2 campaigns on indiegogo but they were launched not very long ago. One was launched about 8 days ago and the other was launched only a few days ago. My biggest problem is trying to understand the best way to promote them. Indigogo seems decent and simple to use.
    The fund raiser I am campaigning for my friend! http://igg.me/at/internationalsmile/x/9009645
    The fund raising campaign for my automotive business! http://igg.me/p/999733/x/9009645
  • WayneY
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by WayneY » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:48 am

I've done the whole Indiegogo and Kickstarter game and by far, Kickstarter had more natural traffic than Indiegogo.
  • johnnie smith
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by johnnie smith » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:59 pm

JackT1977 wrote:I'm very curious on this as well. Is it also a violation of some TOS if I post on Kickstarter and Indiegogo concurrently?
    I have seen to mention on the TOS about launching identical campaigns on other platforms. However, I don't see the need for dual campaigns. Put the energy of getting traffic to only one source. Update only one source. Reply to comments on one source.
  • johnnie smith
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by johnnie smith » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:01 pm

editorskeys wrote:We've just launched on Kickstarter, do you think it's worth putting the campaign on Indigogo at the same time?

As mentioned, the hassle and the energy put into two campaigns (identical) at the same time is not worth it.
    nomlinz
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by nomlinz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Indiegogo has been through a bunch of changes in the most recent years as they figure out how to best combat Kickstarter's continued rise in popularity and backer trust issues.

Some thoughts about Indiegogo as a platform in 2019 for entrepreneurs looking to use Indiegogo:

- they've aggressively positioned themselves as the place to launch new hardware tech products. The backers who frequent Indiegogo are more likely to support a hardware tech project. The support team behind Indiegogo is more knowledgeable about hardware tech. The information on the website is more related to hardware tech launches. Basically, if you're looking to launch hardware tech, this is the place to be.

- they've streamlined their checkout process and modeled it after other successful ecommerce sites. It used to be that if someone wants multiple products on the same Indiegogo campaign, they'd have to go through the checkout process again and again and again. Now, they've changed it up so that the backer can pre-order a "base" set of something, and click to add multiple products to their cart before checking out with a full bag of pre-orders. This is drastically increasing the AOV of each checkout.

- the Production Stage of a project is now very prominent in a campaign. Crowdfunding has gotten a bad reputation in recent years since more and more backers are being vocal about campaigns that end up not shipping products. Indiegogo is trying to combat this by showing more prominently the stage of production an item is on. Someone who is more risk averse might only want to contribute to a project that is in the production or shipping stage. On the other hand, others who are less risk averse might be completely fine contributing to a campaign that is just in the concept or prototype stage.

- the platform is now experimenting with "guaranteed shipping". To combat some more of these backer qualms about campaigns not delivering. Indiegogo is experimenting with adding "guaranteed shipping" badges to some campaigns. This means that Indiegogo will withhold all backer funds from the campaigner; campaigners will only get those funds if they ship to you within the timeframe promised. This definitely defeats the purpose of crowdfunding being used as funding a new idea, but it allows companies with funding to really find that initial group of early adopters and grow their user base before going out to the world of eCommerce. If the campaigner doesn't deliver as promised, all money gets refunded to the backer. Win-win!
    Hi! I run the popular blog Crush Crowdfunding and have helped people successfully raise over $7 million on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Get the proven step-by-step system to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign: http://bit.ly/crushcfhandbook