Want something changed with the Forum? Leave a comment.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Want something changed with the Forum? Leave a comment.

by sbriggman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Hey guys - sorry for my late reply.

@Charles - I think the advertisement complaint is valid for regular users. I might consider turning it off for regular users and only showing them to search engine visitors. Ultimately, the revenue just contributes to growing the forum (moderating/getting more users/etc).

Good point about the navigation. I'll look into adding an easier nav bar to the top bar or sidebar.

Will have to think about your points on the design, as we've gotten lots of positive compliments on the design, but I appreciate your points on it. There may be ways we can improve it.

@coolinvent - 2822 users. 11694 Posts. 2363 topics. Will look into displaying some kind of a counter.

@JayRM - Good idea. I'm open to that if anyone wants to be a moderator. I'll try to do more content creation on this side as well.

@charles - No, not at the moment. When we first started, there were mainly creators on the forum. Slowly seeing a trickle of people also interested in backing projects, so I can add a section for that.

Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:00 pm

As requested:

- Added nav bar to the top of the forum to make navigation a little easier to different forum sections.
    - Added forum stats to the bottom of homepage (user numbers)
    - Added forum section for projects that you've backed and would like to discuss.

Still need to figure out the ads and work on making the site load faster. As always, I appreciate your constant feedback! :). Let me know if anyone is interested in being a moderator.
  • JayRM
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by JayRM » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:13 am

Hey sbriggman...just a couple quick notes on my personal preference, not that it matters. I'm not a fan of the added nav bar as you could get to General Chat, Questions, Tips, and News through the Board Index. I thought it was fine the way it was. I'd rather see a link to a list of articles there, or a link to a list of active kickstarter projects from current members; and maybe past and soon to be launching as well. Or maybe instead, you could update the profile section to include a link to a memeber's crowdfunding campaign and select date range that the projects are active or will go live, then in the memberslist.php be able to filter which members have a project that is currently live, etc. I like the stats. I don't mind the additional forum. I don't mind the ads being there; I think they're fine. The site speed is fine for me.
    Our Kickstarter campaign is now live! http://www.reincarnatemfg.com/kickstarter/ Snowboard-like skateboard with no bindings!
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:13 am

It's not an actual navigation bar, as forum software of various types typically used. If it were, it would probably be located where it currently says Forum-related Discussion/News. Also, when he added the new forum section recently, the navigation bar would have automatically excluded it. The one at the bottom doesn't allow you to choose where you want to go to, either. That's what makes it awkward. Ideally, the links in the horizontal bar at the very top would be used to highlight things, as JayRM suggests.

But, he's trying, at least. He's got several good Kickstarter-related sites online. I like the approach, overall.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:52 pm

@charles - Okay, I see what you are saying. Yea, it's going to be trial and error until we find the best way to highlight content and make navigation easy on here. Will think more about this this week.

@JayRM - Thanks for the input. Will also think about those points this week.
  • Warriorofheaven1
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Warriorofheaven1 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:06 pm

• uttoransen
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by uttoransen » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:27 pm

Here's a suggestion: Make a paid section in the forum, that only paid members can see. It should not be visible to the normal members. Alternatively you can make this section a VIP only (people with 50+ posts ... ) to unlock the content.

thanks,
    Uttoran Sen,
    We back and promote every Crowd Funding Campaign posted on our Crowd Speaking website.