Have not Paid a Dime for PR or Crowdfunding Services
  • Jean_Cave
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Have not Paid a Dime for PR or Crowdfunding Services

by Jean_Cave » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:33 pm

MusicMayhem wrote:Hello Jean -

Sounds like you are well prepared! Very professional video as well! We recently launched our campaign http://back.musicmayhem.net and have been deluged by dream merchant groups that want to sell their services, PR firms and all sorts of different advertisers and marketers. It's hard to sort through all of the noise and I'll bet that your personal approach will be more effective though time consuming as you said.

Wishing you all the best.! Bill

They're a bit scammy, right?

For this project I had made it at the start of the year but cancelled because I hadn't researched Kickstarter enough (- very naive - I've come a long way). I used two of the PR firms that reached out to me,spent about $100 bucks on them. What happened? Nothing special! I got people that were paid to share the video (50 shares) and it wasn't in front of the right audience at all.

Those companies aren't exactly my expertise and can't quote that they work.

Personal, direct and helpful is the right way to go. Try your local newspapers and small blogs, then if they publish you, reach out to larger blogs and quote where else you've been published to give yourself credibility. Small blogs have featured my project and my newspaper - still trying with the larger blogs but that was some advice I heard from a successful campaign.

All the best! Really hope your campaign is a success!

- J

nomlinz
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Have not Paid a Dime for PR or Crowdfunding Services

by nomlinz » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Really dig what OP has to say here about doing the legwork for outreach. There's been such a huge shift in PR even from when I started in crowdfunding (2015) to now.

It's much more difficult for PR agencies to get hits for crowdfunding campaigns lately because of all the (excuse the pun) bad press about crowdfunding campaigns: things that don't deliver, campaigns where the creator takes the money and runs, etc.

Doing that legwork is truly what will set projects apart from others that don't get written about. Doing the legwork to create relationships and show value will continue to be more and more important as the crowdfunding landscape evolves and as PR as an industry evolves.

Here's the grassroots, hit-the-ground-running step-by-step for how to make PR work for you: https://crushcrowdfunding.com/the-crowdfunding-pr-strategy-that-works-2019-and-beyond/ (note that this is quite a long article, but it does go through step-by-step on what you should do and includes outreach templates)
    Hi! I run the popular blog Crush Crowdfunding and have helped people successfully raise over $7 million on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Get the proven step-by-step system to launch a successful crowdfunding campaign: http://bit.ly/crushcfhandbook