To early bird or not?
  • SpacePolyglot
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

To early bird or not?

by SpacePolyglot » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi all,
    I have been reading contradicting info on the opinion if Early Birds are good idea. While they help in the beginning of the project, a lot of late backers are complaining of them and say that even they are skipping a project for the single reason that they got annoyed that they missed the early bird.
    What do you think - is it best to avoid them at all or to set the discount just 2-3 USD?
    Thanks!

therriaultk
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: To early bird or not?

by therriaultk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:27 pm

I think early birds are more of a good thing than a bad thing, because they give people a reason to back your project sooner rather than later. They want that extra discount, so early birds do fill up quickly.

To counter backers complaining that they missed the early birds, maybe you can point out in your rewards that the normal tiers are still discounted compared to the price they'll be retailing at after the campaign?
    Community Manager - CrowdCrux.com
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:13 pm

This post has been moved to the Kickstarter and Crowdfunding Questions Only (Strict) section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman
  • Brian_The_Cookie
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Brian_The_Cookie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:17 am

My experience is that people who ask about your project are excited about the early bird. What I am doing for mine (launching in 2 days time, www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/a46d97e7) is to have an early bird AND a smaller discount for the number of backers required to get me to the funded stage. that way no one's left out.
  • Vanessa
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Vanessa » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:12 am

For me early backers are important for a campaign because initially backed campaign is more interesting to other backers.
    #1 Crowdfunding Campaign Optimization, Crowd Building & Promotion App https://www.krowdster.co/
  • cratestyle
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by cratestyle » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:18 pm

I've a lot of projects and only mostly don't use Early Bird specials...that said, I just launched a new project today and allowed 100 people to get about 10% off the regular kickstarter pricing. I think its a good way to get some traction at the beginning of the project. I also thing, once the Early Bird level is full it kind of acts like proof to future customers that what you're kickstarting is popular.
  • InfectedGames
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by InfectedGames » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:48 am

We're planning to offer a couple of different early bird specials. Getting off to a good start to the campaign is crucial to its success, and that's exactly what we hope the early bird specials will achieve.
  • AllShapeUp
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by AllShapeUp » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm currently debating this myself!

I did think about going for an early bird extra discount however i've been advised to not... I'm still a little undecided but I think i'm going to launch my project with a flat 50% discount to hopefully maintain momentum throughout!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/al ... n=71b57ad4