GoFundMe giving out 10,000 in scholorships
    Ignitecfp
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

GoFundMe giving out 10,000 in scholorships

by Ignitecfp » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Hey guys,

I see a lot of crowdfunding campaigns every day with students trying to raise money for college. I don't blame you. College is WAY too expensive in this day and age. I have many friends, and myself included, that are 50k-100k, even 150k in debt after finishing a four or six year degree program.

That is why this article really inspired me -GoFundMe gives out 10,000 in scholorship funds

I love the idea of crowdfunding websites using their philanthropic powers to benefit the same campaigns that so many new crowdfunding users rely on their platform for.

“It’s very hard to afford college. The debt burden that kids face when they get out of school is brutal,” said Rob Solomon, the chief executive of GoFundMe. “There is a pocket of help out there, but the rubber really hits the road when you have to pay $100,000 to get through four years of school. A lot of people fall through the cracks.”

What do you guys think about this? What other causes would you like to see benefit from the power of crowdfunding?

therriaultk
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: GoFundMe giving out 10,000 in scholorships

by therriaultk » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:40 am

This is pretty cool, thanks for sharing! I like that they're focusing on a specific cause here like college fees, like GoFundMe always seems to focus their efforts when a natural disaster or tragedy happens.

I've also noticed this with rewards crowdfunding platforms. For example, all of Indiegogo's partnerships helping tech and design startups succeed after crowdfunding (although that's a little less philanthropic).

Platforms like Kiva that support social lending and small businesses around the world are pretty cool too. :D
    Community Manager - CrowdCrux.com
  • kelvinvv
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by kelvinvv » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:29 pm

This seems interesting!
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:24 am

This post has been moved to the Kickstarter and Crowdfunding Questions Only (Strict) section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman