Calyos NSG S0 Fanless PC Case
  • manuelz
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Calyos NSG S0 Fanless PC Case

by manuelz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:55 am

As I just mentioned in the comments : people start to make very specific wishes. While I understand that you can always try please keep in mind that any wish means a lot of work as well as potential delays. Small design things like no USB slots in the front for example. Srsly? Even worse, sorry, is people asking to close the case or have an aluminum cover. If you want a closed case with aluminum cover how about you safe yourself some money and get one of the 1000 cases already out there that fit the description?

Sorry for the rant. But I pledged for the Nsg s0 not a normal case and for sure not something different than presented in the campaign. If you want a custom solution, do it yourself. I'm all for improving the design in a technical and practical way - but not for changing it in general ! (if that makes sense)

@roix if someone owns 4 cats maybe he shouldn't buy that new shiny open aquarium? If you don't like the wind in your hair don't go out and buy a Cabriolet? :) I mean there will probably be a closed workstation in the future. If the open design isn't for someone , maybe the product isn't for them? That's what I don't get...

• EraserPencil
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by EraserPencil » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Would anyone be getting a Ryzen 4-6 core instead of the Intel equivalent?

I'm thinking about it cause I don't really need all that speed, but it seems like an ultimate waste to get such an expensive case that may just be built for the best overclock. Cheaping out on the electronics seems insane to me, but the case takes away the budget I have for better electronics.
  • TJW
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by TJW » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:36 pm

manuelz wrote:As I just mentioned in the comments : people start to make very specific wishes. While I understand that you can always try please keep in mind that any wish means a lot of work as well as potential delays. Small design things like no USB slots in the front for example. Srsly? Even worse, sorry, is people asking to close the case or have an aluminum cover. If you want a closed case with aluminum cover how about you safe yourself some money and get one of the 1000 cases already out there that fit the description?

Sorry for the rant. But I pledged for the Nsg s0 not a normal case and for sure not something different than presented in the campaign. If you want a custom solution, do it yourself. I'm all for improving the design in a technical and practical way - but not for changing it in general ! (if that makes sense)

@roix if someone owns 4 cats maybe he shouldn't buy that new shiny open aquarium? If you don't like the wind in your hair don't go out and buy a Cabriolet? :) I mean there will probably be a closed workstation in the future. If the open design isn't for someone , maybe the product isn't for them? That's what I don't get...
    You're joking right? We're about to make long term investment in 500 EUR computer case and shouln't care about its design?

The front panel is just a simple pieces of bent metal sheet. Why do you think high level HIFI components have almost zero front ports or hide them under a cover? Why HDPLEX H5 put IO port on the side - Guess what, I wrote them asking for a blank power button because I simply didn't like the engraved "H"and 5 days later I had it in mail no questions asked or stupid comments about my "specific wishes". If you are asking a premium price people will have high demands and expectations.

And yes I haven't used front IO ports in years - don't need them but I certainly respect that others do. That's why i asked for EXTRA OPTIONs I am even willing to pay extra for. So how about you improve your reading comprehension?

Jeez, Get off your high horse.
  • IRONBERG
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by IRONBERG » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:08 pm

8x8johan wrote:In terms of PSU, I am actually going to get one with a fan. The one in mind is the EVGA Supernova P2 650w. Now, before says something like "why would you put a fanned psu in a fanless pc", please consider this:
    - This specific unit costs much less, but still remains fanless up untill ~500w (according to johhnyguru and kitguru). This is more than enough even for the most demanding single graphics card setup.
    - it's actually really nice to have a fan just for the added safety. This is reflected in the 10 year manufacturer warrenty.
    - it's one of the best performing units overall.
    - even when the fan does spin, we're talking 31-34 db of noise - it's essentially quiet.

I´m thinking about the same one.
    I made a (very) short list of of great PSU units I´m thinking about.

Enermax Digifanless EDF550AWN

+550 Watt fanless
    +power management software is kinda cool
    +Individualyy sleeved cables. Looks sweet

-Expensive, actually way to expensive compared to the other ones IMO.

XFX XTS Passive 520 Watt

+520 Fanless
    +Good value
    +Built on Seasonic fanless without the quirks of that unit (no buzzing reported)

-Doesn´t look as cool as the other ones, On the other hand you can´t really see the PSU in a NSG S0

+-Same price point as EVGA P2

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2

+ Highest rated power in this list
    +Can do High power SLI/Crossfire, (This might not be possible on NSG S0, especially not without fans.)
    +10 Year no hassle warranty

-Fan starts at 45 - 50 degrees Celsius (about 480 - 500 watt)

+- Same price point as XFX XTS

What do you guys think?
    I ruled out the seasonic one that Calyos recommends due to quality issues. Many units seems to start to buzzing after 6 months or so.

All three of theese units are praised in reviews. Great ripple levels, Really good efficiency, fantastic builds and so on.
  • manuelz
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manuelz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:48 am

TJW wrote:Jeez, Get off your high horse.

I ride whatever horse i want, as well as your are entitled to ride yours. seems though like your horse is just a little taller than mine ;)

I was wondering about m.2 vs normal SSD - we do have a designated space for 1 ssd, and we have storage places in those drawers to hide more - but what I actually was wondering about:

m.2 seem to generate a lot of heat (I dont own any m.2 so far, so I cant tell) - with the open case and no airflow from a fan - could this be a Problem in the NSG S0? Or wouldn't it make a difference wether one would use 1 or 2 m.2's or conventional SATA SSD's?
  • manuelz
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manuelz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 am

EraserPencil wrote:Would anyone be getting a Ryzen 4-6 core instead of the Intel equivalent?

I'm thinking about it cause I don't really need all that speed, but it seems like an ultimate waste to get such an expensive case that may just be built for the best overclock. Cheaping out on the electronics seems insane to me, but the case takes away the budget I have for better electronics.

I plan to go for a 6 core ryzen - probably the 1600x but we will see after April 11th how they stack up. I recently started to watch a YouTuber called AdoredTV - and even though he is an AMD Fanboy - he Shows nicely and with good Research how good those ryzen actually are - even for gaming and especially for future gaming
  • WTTL
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by WTTL » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:01 pm

I can understand manuelz's concern that specific wishes might get incorporated in all of the final products, which may not be up to everyone's taste. Calyos had responded that they are looking into solution to close the case (due to specific request), that got many backers concerned and many had raised their opinion that they want the open design.
    One can always do one's modding after one receive one's case.
    I certainly do not wish to get a final product that's radically different from what was initially presented.
    :idea: The pledge €7,999 or more for privilege of creating your own design is still available though... Any takers? Yes?
  • TJW
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by TJW » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:00 pm

WTTL wrote:I can understand manuelz's concern that specific wishes might get incorporated in all of the final products, which may not be up to everyone's taste. Calyos had responded that they are looking into solution to close the case (due to specific request), that got many backers concerned and many had raised their opinion that they want the open design.
    One can always do one's modding after one receive one's case.
    I certainly do not wish to get a final product that's radically different from what was initially presented.
    :idea: The pledge €7,999 or more for privilege of creating your own design is still available though... Any takers? Yes?

I think it was more the way they frazed it that left backers concerned. They've clarified since then that all covers come as extra, so it's all good I guess.
  • TJW
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by TJW » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 pm

manuelz wrote:
    TJW wrote:Jeez, Get off your high horse.
    I ride whatever horse i want, as well as your are entitled to ride yours. seems though like your horse is just a little taller than mine ;)

I was wondering about m.2 vs normal SSD - we do have a designated space for 1 ssd, and we have storage places in those drawers to hide more - but what I actually was wondering about:

m.2 seem to generate a lot of heat (I dont own any m.2 so far, so I cant tell) - with the open case and no airflow from a fan - could this be a Problem in the NSG S0? Or wouldn't it make a difference wether one would use 1 or 2 m.2's or conventional SATA SSD's?
    Well, it depends, if by m.2 you meant NVME like the super fast samsung 950 Pro that yes they get very very hot and once they reach 70-80C they start to throttle so a proper heatsink is a must. I have ordered this one and it works well so far.

Also many ATX MBs have M.2 ports near the last pcie slots (such as my favorite ASROCK Taichi Z270) which in this case will be blocked by the GPU card. Maybe Calyos comes up with a solution or we end up with mATX where MB and GPU might not overlapp.

I currently use this kit so maybe it would fit in those HDD racks - thats a total of 6 SSDs and still enough space for a fan. :)
  • manuelz
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manuelz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:00 am

Thanks for the cooler link - that might come in Handy. Although I think I'll stick with 2 sata ssd's to start with - an old 250gb and a 1tb 805 evo

I was looking at the Motherboards again - b350 vs x370 - and I really dont see much difference between the two except for the sli part - usb-c and all that other stuff is on most b350 boards as well. chipsets differ some, but as far as i could find out not to the Point where it should make a difference for someone like me that is not going to do crazy overclocks. My main reason for now to consider x370 is the visuals - and the cooling of the mb i'm hoping those designs will provide - they just look so much better. I love the taichi - but I Kind of refuse to pay extra for wifi that I dont Need. also, i dont Need 12 usb ports o0 Actually, I dont Need anything those x370 offer me in plus of a b350.. its really just the Looks :D but do i want to pay a 100 bucks just for Looks?

atm i'm in love with the AX370-Gaming-K7 from Gigabyte.. :)