Is there such a thing as performance based marketing service
  • No Mess Charley
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Is there such a thing as performance based marketing service

by No Mess Charley » Sat May 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Okay, I am an inventor that has invented and patented a great product, that ticks all the boxes for a successful Kickstarter campaign launch, in that: it is unique, it has an obvious benefit; it has a large, but focused, target market; it has good margins; and it is easy to distribute worldwide.

I have finalized my prototype designs and in the process of arranging manufacturing for a product launch in October through Amazon in the United States.

My problem is that while I have a good understanding of the marketing process, I lack the expertise to co-ordinate and implement an effective launch. I also do not have the capital to pay the upfront costs of a marketing company to help with the Kickstarter launch, which brings me back to the question: Is there such a thing as a performance based marketing service to help companies run their Kickstarter campaign, ie. whereby the marketing company receives a percentage of the launch income?

hyperstarter
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Is there such a thing as performance based marketing ser

by hyperstarter » Sun May 07, 2017 3:16 am

Just to give my point of view, I get asked this question every other week and always say 'no'.

The reason is about trust. If you've approached a marketing company, did your homework and found them to be trustworthy/reputable - that's great, you can approach them about taking a %.

But as a marketing company, can you trust the campaign owner the same way?

What this means is working in advance, without pay in the hope they reach their goal. If the goal is reached, then wait for the funds to be received, then after all this is done (however long it takes), then receive the agreed % payment.

See the problem with this picture? It's easier to ask for upfront fees rather than wait in the hope you'll be paid a larger amount. Unless you've built up trust and know the campaign owner well, I can't see anyone agreeing to these conditions as it solely beneifts the campaign owner.
    Promote your campaign today with Hyperstarter & use our free tool to identify Kickstarter page problems & fixes: https://www.hyperstarter.com/about
  • No Mess Charley
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by No Mess Charley » Sun May 07, 2017 7:22 am

This reminds me of the old "what is the definition of a consultant" joke. You know the one about the guy who knows how to make love in 100 different positions, but has never had a girlfriend.

Okay, I can understand where you are coming from, in some aspects, but similarly if I contract a marketing company and pay upfront fees, what guarantee do I have that they have the skill to actually properly market and launch my product on Kickstarter. You mention trust, but when you look into it, the Internet is full of third party marketing company reviews, including ones on this forum, that charge exorbitant marketing consultancy fees to inventors and then not deliver on their alleged expertise. Considering the circumstances, your suggestion that inventors would be the untrustworthy party in any agreement like this, is highly unlikely.

Of course, under what I am suggesting, prior to signing any sort of performance based agreement, there would have to be due diligence carried out by both parties and any funds held in escrow through a third party, with the marketing company accordingly paid, based on performance, at the completion of the Kickstarter campaign. If successful, I would imagine a lot of the inventors' companies would be more than happy to retain the marketing company services on an ongoing performance basis. I know I would!
  • lowkey
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by lowkey » Mon May 15, 2017 5:20 am

No Mess Charley wrote:This reminds me of the old "what is the definition of a consultant" joke. You know the one about the guy who knows how to make love in 100 different positions, but has never had a girlfriend.

Okay, I can understand where you are coming from, in some aspects, but similarly if I contract a marketing company and pay upfront fees, what guarantee do I have that they have the skill to actually properly market and launch my product on Kickstarter. You mention trust, but when you look into it, the Internet is full of third party marketing company reviews, including ones on this forum, that charge exorbitant marketing consultancy fees to inventors and then not deliver on their alleged expertise. Considering the circumstances, your suggestion that inventors would be the untrustworthy party in any agreement like this, is highly unlikely.

Of course, under what I am suggesting, prior to signing any sort of performance based agreement, there would have to be due diligence carried out by both parties and any funds held in escrow through a third party, with the marketing company accordingly paid, based on performance, at the completion of the Kickstarter campaign. If successful, I would imagine a lot of the inventors' companies would be more than happy to retain the marketing company services on an ongoing performance basis. I know I would!

too long for a simple answer.

go with Funded Today, if your campaign performed well, they will take 30% of everything. That should obey your set of rules.
    Personal Record : Assisted 13 Campaigns - 13K Backers - $2M Funded
    1 Year 7 Months Crowdfunding Marketing Compiled
    http://bit.ly/marketingresearchcompiled
  • gustofwisdom
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by gustofwisdom » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:54 pm

lowkey wrote:
    No Mess Charley wrote:This reminds me of the old "what is the definition of a consultant" joke. You know the one about the guy who knows how to make love in 100 different positions, but has never had a girlfriend.

too long for a simple answer.

go with Funded Today, if your campaign performed well, they will take 30% of everything. That should obey your set of rules.

Any real marketing service works for no upfront fees. It's simple: if they are so good at what they do, then why not work on pure commission?
  • tp33noscope
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by tp33noscope » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Did anyone find a commission based agency? This would work amazingly for me. It's exactly what I need. No risk to me, and they get to earn their keep if they are good.
    xxnoscope360xx progamer 4 life. Now funding on kickstarter.com
    FRAUDWATCHMAN
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by FRAUDWATCHMAN » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:30 pm

If the service is asking for any money upfront at all whatsoever, you need to beware that they are a scam. The most trustworthy services all work on a commission pro quid basis.
    I am the watchman of fraud, always on the lookout to report crowdfunding scams, thieves, and falsehood. I've fell for countless crowdfunding scams, and it's my mission to stop as many of them as possible.
  • DoogleDongle2018
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by DoogleDongle2018 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 am

I agree. Without a 100% money back guarantee of success it is not worth the risk.

Doogle Dongle, coming soon to kickstarter!
  • mike420blazed247
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by mike420blazed247 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:09 am

If Tross is doing 100% performance ads, be sure to share your experience about them in the big list here: a-list-of-crowdfunding-marketing-agencies-t11390.html
  • p90xsmalls
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by p90xsmalls » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 am

There is no such thing. You are like asking for a cofounder and usually cofounders you share the profits and company with because they are sharing in the risk. What you are asking for, is for an employee to work for you for zero dollars upfront - and they share in the risk - and in exchange if things work out you pay them their risk.

Could you imagine hiring someone for $10 per hour, and then you tell that person you will only pay their $10 per hour if you make $1M profit? You would be a jacka*** for doing that.