Feedback On Film Campaign?
  • garrettrmartin
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Feedback On Film Campaign?

by garrettrmartin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi Everyone!

My name is Garrett Martin and I am the creator of a Kickstarter campaign titled, "Unbounded: A Feature Documentary". The documentary follows a young, unaided crew of four as they hike and pack-raft for four months into the infinite region known as Patagonia. We are currently stalling out at around 37% of our goal and I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on what we could be doing better?

We have gotten a lot of press, although not many big articles, several influencers, received "Project We Love" and a decent amount of traffic but not a whole lot of backers. Would love any feedback or tips you could give to help out! Here is the link to the campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1118318772/unbounded-a-feature-documentary

Thanks!

Garrett

Tom Beckett
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: Feedback On Film Campaign?

by Tom Beckett » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Cool project!

Where did your first 79 backers come from? Are the majority family and friends?

I think the format of your video is good, but if you're looking to experiment, I would try moving that first bit to the end, or reduce its time a little bit. Also the first few seconds of the start of the filming could be sped up a little.

Some dollar amount estimations on where the money will go might help.

Keep it up!
  • garrettrmartin
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by garrettrmartin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks Tom! Great advice!

A majority of the 79 backers are within our personal network with some people coming from Kickstarter and articles that have been written about us.
    Tom Beckett
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Tom Beckett » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:18 pm

I'd definitely do some individual outreach to your backers. Ask them to share with someone specific that they think might enjoy the project. Since this is a family and friend style raise, make sure your entire team has exhausted their lists, and then do the former to tap into your 2nd degree contacts.
  • garrettrmartin
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by garrettrmartin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for the tips Tom! Actually just started a Refer-A-Friend program to incentivize referrals and sharing. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks again!
    Tom Beckett
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Tom Beckett » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Which are you using?

You bet!
  • garrettrmartin
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by garrettrmartin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm just using one that I created myself, it can be seen on our most recent update.

p.s. thanks so much for the donation!
    Tom Beckett
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Tom Beckett » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:06 pm

How does it work? What's the incentive or arrangement?

Happy to help!
  • garrettrmartin
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by garrettrmartin » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:29 pm

"If you refer 1 backer, we will send you a personalized written postcard that we brought back from Patagonia on our journey.

If you refer 3 backers, we will send you a 8x10 photo print from ANY photo you choose from the trip as well as the personalized Patagonia postcard.

If you refer 5 backers, we will upgrade you from whatever pledge you are currently at to our Distance Hiker Package (worth $500!) as well as the Patagonia postcard and photo print!

Here are a few simple rules and guidelines:

-Don't try to cheat! (trust us, we will know).

-You must be a backer at $25 or higher and your friend must pledge at $25 or higher to qualify.

-When your friend pledges, they HAVE to mention you in a message to us or we won't know that you referred them.

-You and your friend have to keep your pledges until the end of the campaign and cancelling and re-pledging will not count as a referral. "

That was the copy....seems to not be working so far, I think the rewards may not be incentive enough although I thought they would work at least for a couple people as those rewards are not offered through our campaign. Maybe it will work better during the final stretch.
    Tom Beckett
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Tom Beckett » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Very interesting. It's definitely an incentive for someone who really likes what you guys are doing, but I would think if someone were to share it they'd have to really have someone in mind that they think would also love this. Might be tough, but I love how it's very specific to your project.

Curious to hear how it works out! Please update us here.