What have you learned from running a Kickstarter campaign?
  • fashiondesigner
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: What have you learned from running a Kickstarter campaig

by fashiondesigner » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:57 pm

People have said that Fashion is a tough category in Kickstarter because most backers on the site are male. I launched my first ever campaign for my high performance fashion line a week ago (see https://www.goo.gl/6JwwFv) and we are moving slowly. Regarding the social media, we've been posting on FB, Instagram and Twitter. We are trying to find new ways to promote the campaign now...If I had known, I would have a solid marketing plan planned before launch.

• schang91
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by schang91 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:00 am

fashiondesigner wrote:People have said that Fashion is a tough category in Kickstarter because most backers on the site are male. I launched my first ever campaign for my high performance fashion line a week ago (see https://www.goo.gl/6JwwFv) and we are moving slowly. Regarding the social media, we've been posting on FB, Instagram and Twitter. We are trying to find new ways to promote the campaign now...If I had known, I would have a solid marketing plan planned before launch.

Did you hire professional video production crew and model for your campaign video? Thanks
  • schang91
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by schang91 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:08 am

garrettrmartin wrote:I think the most important thing is just realizing how much work goes into creating a campaign. It's something that has to be started months in advance and includes working on it everyday to build that following and make sure you know the message your trying to get across. I'm currently on my third campaign and still have a lot to learn as it's not something that happens overnight!

The first 2 of your campaigns, how did they turn out? Were they successful? If so, what were the pros and cons? thanks
  • stacyann1
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by stacyann1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:33 pm

I agree with you guys.. I didn't have my social media built and in place until my friend needed help with her fibroid treatment. I'm not a social media fun but I think am getting glued to it. I'm having to play catch up
  • novel games
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by novel games » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Okay, very interesting! The most important is seemingly an already existing community!?
  • Shoebumper
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Shoebumper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 am

inflexionUSA wrote:Connect, Connect, Connect

It's important to have a strong following of passionate supporters long before you start a campaign.

This is such great advice but how do you build that following of passionate supporters. I've tried twitter and instagram but I only have 35 followers so far. :D
    Lydia
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Lydia » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:28 am

This is my own experience:
    we launched our Kickstarter campaign few months ago. Before launching the campaign, we've put so much time on the campaign content and we did not focus much on prelaunch marketing. As a result, our campaign ran well on the first 3 days with 90% of the traffic comes from Kickstarter search. However, after that, the momentum slows down as our project was no longer listed on the first page of the marketplace, and we are losing backers as they lose confidence towards our project.

That's when we realized that prelaunch marketing is REALLY IMPORTANT!! We decided to close our project and think about how to do it better.

We started our social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, IG), contact bloggers for a product review, find production house to take a new video, get our friends involved to comment on the content of the product page, get listed on marketing platform (coming soon), read blog posts from successful project owners, and interact with our previous backers by asking them how we can run a better project (as they are our target audience!). During the process, we've got lots of positive feedback on our travel pillow and we've met some travel bloggers who are very helpful and gave us lots of constructive advice on how to present our product effectively. It's really encouraging!

As a startup and a new comer of Kickstarter, we treat every single step that we've gone through during prelaunch stage as a learning opportunity, and we are opened to any comment / idea to further promote our campaign. Our project is going to be relaunched on 26Sep 1pm EST, and we are so exited (and very nervous >.<) to see how it is going.

Do you have any similar experience? Please feel free to share and discuss:) Let's learn and grow together!

FYR some of the bloggers review here:
    Product review done by @MyTravelMissio: here
    Product review by The Lost Executive: here

We have also used AMAfeed to collect FAQ from target audience: here

Cheers, Lydia:)
    HANDYCOSY is an ergonomic travel pillow made of memory foam that easily packs down to a 10cm cube! Check it out!

We are LIVE on Kickstarter! and not to miss our 48-hour Super Early Bird offer:)
  • Mileneal
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Mileneal » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:47 am

Hello people,

I have not started my project yet but I think I've learned or two (actually more than that) just from looking at other projects, reading blogs, articles online. There's a ton of information out there.

Basically I am planning a project launch end of October but my work has started since beginning of the year.
    - Once I had a design in place, I started social media pages to create some content
    - I set up a pre-launch website with some photos and info with a few blog post or two
    - When I had prototypes, I started shooting photos to be posted onto my pages
    - At the same time, I did a lot of organic following on social media. I.e. Looking at people who has the same interest and then liking, commenting and following them.
    - Tried some social media ads but did not get very good results. Probably because there is no physical product or even a campaign that is already launched.
    - I also contacted various websites (review sites or blogs) to start discussing about possible collaborations. I did most of the work by looking at other projects "As seen" section and also googling common topics & interests online. I have a list of about 10 sites who've agreed right now.
    - Then there's the part where content is very important. Most of my photos now are taken by myself. You just have learn to refine your "skills" whether it's with a phone or a DSLR camera. From there, I've picked up some photoshop skills as well. Just basic ones which would allow me to refine my photos.
    - And since my planned project launch date is drawing near, I am engaging photographers to take some nicer photos. At the same time I have talking to film maker/videographer to have my launch video shot.
    - With these content, I am also looking at freelance PR writers to help do a PR launch writing for me

Even though I am doing all the above, I am constantly worrying about the outcome. I am still trying to see if there is any areas which I can look into. I thought about looking into crowdfund services like backershub, fundedtoday, backerscamp and such but is hesitant due to the post and reviews I've seen.

Long reply but hope it helps. Do share your input!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mileneal_official/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/milenealofficial
  • mattia
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by mattia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:46 am

"I am constantly worrying about the outcome. I am still trying to see if there is any areas which I can look into. I thought about looking into crowdfund services like backershub, fundedtoday, backerscamp and such but is hesitant due to the post and reviews I've seen."
    but did you compiled a prelaunch mailing list? and how much is big compared to the funding goal?
    littleguy101
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by littleguy101 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:52 am

I learned not to waste your time with any kind of marketing agency. They are all scams as far as I am concerned. I live by the philosophy of "if you build it, they will come". All the best companies do ZERO marketing, its a proven fact.