Victim of Kickstarter SCAM!
  • MrAllan
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Victim of Kickstarter SCAM!

by MrAllan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:44 am

What are the rules when it comes to projects that never come to fruition? From what I have seen it is almost like deferring college classes. As long as you do a little something every year you are never quite in trouble. The reason I ask is I have been following a fan film project for a while (disclaimer I did not contribute to it because I was skeptical from the start). It was/is for a Power Rangers fan film (not the awesome one that came out of the blue that was actually done by random pros) This one was by amateur film makers that looked pretty good for what it was. It was originally supposed to drop in 2012 after they reached approx 10k past their goal. Then delays and no talk, something about the effects team. Later the main creator said he had family issues his Mom passed and he stepped back and put the project on the back burner. Most fans seemed to give sympathy based on the comments but after a decent amount of time that sympathy turned back to anger. Some of the actors completely left the project. As pf right now they say the film is done and they are just cleaning up the effects (I believe they have been saying this for 6 months). Backers are demanding their funds back . Because of this project similar projects saw basically no results when they attempted a campaign releasing a free project before asking for anything. There is a constant joke that the lions gate film will release before this project which is likely true or perhaps they are playing the long game and will drop their film the week of the actual film or when the films first trailer drops to draw on those views. As it stands now though many are wondering what are they to do in cases like this, the "defer method"

Ignitecfp
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Ignitecfp » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:43 pm

We had something like this happen for a campaign we ran named Fontus - self filling water bottle.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/font ... -camping#/

Someone took the project and was trying to sell it on E-bay.

Google Alerts can be a lifesaver sometimes.

People trying to copy your work...at least there is a compliment hidden in there somewhere.
  • Mr KC
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Mr KC » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:12 am

Wow. I've been giving my pre-launch KS link out for a couple of people to review. Fortunately my friends only. It would really suck if someone got ahold of my preview link and tried to launch before I did.
  • TMO
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by TMO » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Wow!11 Sorry to read of your difficulties. I've already been super careful about my funding but this is a great reminder. Thanks! Hope it ends well for you. I'm sure the emotional toll is great.
  • BigBoJackson
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by BigBoJackson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:55 pm

You need to report it to kickstarter. They are really good about removing projects for intellectual property disputes. They do it fast too. Good luck!

Backers beware!
    no live campaign yet, im gearing up for a big 2018
  • eloisecrowdfunds
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by eloisecrowdfunds » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:50 pm

report them to the proper authorities, and be vigilant.

dawnsole wrote:Right now there is a FAKE Kickstarter campaign that ripped me off. Out of nowhere I decided to google my product and it came up. All of a sudden I see a campaign under Kickstarter when mine is under Indiegogo.
    Kickstarter didn't do their due diligence and check and just posted whatever was sent to them by these thieves and it's all my IP and everything. So someone copied and pasted my ENTIRE Indiegogo campaign and launched under Kickstarter and raised about$17k. If Kickstarter did their research they would have seen that there is already an account with Indiegogo and that I am the owner of Pluck N' File…if you google Pluck N' File it is clear that I am the owner and Kickstarter would have known not to launch. Funny thing is last year I tried to launch through KS with the first version of my product and they denied me! so I have the emails saved and showed them with my attorney copied, how can you deny me the REAL owner last year and now you approve a FAKE with my updated version without first verifying everything? I own ALL the IP. They have the account still up showing "suspended" but it isn't my account it is the FAKE account. But the people who go to Kickstarter don't know that….they think it is really Pluck N' File and that makes me look so bad. That makes my brand look bad when it isn't even me, plus whoever donated to the KS campaign will not get the product because those people cannot fulfill the orders since it was a scam., so again how does that make me look? What protection do people like me have then from poachers of crowdfunding campaigns if the platforms like KS are not doing their due diligence. They dropped the ball big time and i am suing them. The campaign is still up and needs to be taken down off the site.

The people who posted the fake account were trying to raise the funds to take and run and obviously cannot fulfill orders. Horrible people.

Has anyone else gone through this?

Here is the fake account and below is the real one so you can see. People need to be educated on this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... nav_search

here is the real one in Indiegogo.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pluc ... /x/8568074

thanks,

Dawn
    littleguy101
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by littleguy101 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 am

We need links to the product and photos, otherwise your post does not make sense
  • DoogleDongle2018
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by DoogleDongle2018 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 am

There was a cutting board this month on kickstarter that raised $200k and then kickstarter caught them. I wonder if it is the same people behind this one as well.
    Doogle Dongle, coming soon to kickstarter!
  • WildFlower
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by WildFlower » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:35 am

Oh wow, there's some horrible people out there. Looks like Kickstarter got to it and now its down though!
    Bobi Necklace, the bobby pin storage necklace. http://kck.st/2ujG806
    jacksinc17
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by jacksinc17 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Sorry to hear about this.