My first campaign - Steampunk Artbook
  • larryneagu
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

My first campaign - Steampunk Artbook

by larryneagu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 am

A few days ago I launched my first campaign ever - for a steampunk coffee table artbook.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peculiarengines/mortimers-handbook

I love steampunk but I don't believe in the cog_glued_to_hat approach. I like to see the Rule of Cool working behind everything tagged steampunk. Most posts / images found online and tagged as steampunk are anything but - sometimes they are retrofuture, sometimes dieselpunk or clockpunk, and many a times pure junkpunk; that's when people glue together junk and paint it with copper spray. Steampunk is romantic and dirty, is working albeit cumbersome and is hopeful. The genre is so well established yet so many miss the mark! In my book I put together a lot of designs and sketches designed specifically for his project and - if it picks up - it will be followed by another book on vehicles and airships.

I don't have a video for the campaign - my English speaking skills are vague at best and I don't look at all the part for a pitch. I trust my work will be enough to help me kick start publishing it, so, fingers crossed.

hyperstarter
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: My first campaign - Steampunk Artbook

by hyperstarter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:24 pm

The drawings look great congrats! I think where I see it failing is that it looks a little too "mocked up" for me. There's alot of images that look too photoshopped which might put potential backers off.

Another problem I see are the rewards. £25 is alot of money for a book being Kickstarted. I can see there's additional items, but they're not popular in the £1 to £15 levels.

I'm wondering who you targeted this campaign to before you launched. It seems there's a specific niche out there (perhaps it's forurms etc.,) and I guess it's not too late to start pitching and get your relevant community interested in what you're doing.
    Promote your campaign today with Hyperstarter & use our free tool to identify Kickstarter page problems & fixes: https://www.hyperstarter.com/about
  • larryneagu
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by larryneagu » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:24 am

Thanks for the input!
    To be reasonable though, the book is still being worked on, and mock-ups are the only way to show the final product idea. I could go very low on prices/rewards but that would mean printing it cheap. And cheap is a byword for low quality.
    I am not very interested in marketing pitches - in fact, I can't stand marketing, it's of the mark most of the time. I like an organic approach better, regardless the outcome. I just put this project out there to learn a thing or two.
  • Syntax604
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Syntax604 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:36 am

Hello Laurentiu Neagu

Hope you are doing good and as excited about the campaign as all your supporters. There hasn't been much communication so we are all a bit worried about you. No updates since last April.

Update #10

Apr 10 2018

Oh, my
    Posted by Laurentiu Neagu (Creator)

It's been a very interesting start for 2018. Failed 2 projects on K, third time got lucky! And now I can put at least one of my projects back on the table and actually see it through My mom warned me not to go the Art route, it tends to be expensive and logistically a nightmare for any project bigger than a drawing. She actually suggested to seek a career in accounting. And you know what?! I am not one! I am still fiddling with colors and shapes and whatnot. I get to to what I love and this time around i's ALL thanks to you guys.

I take a bow, and thank you from my heart!

L.

We would love to hear more about the campaign and see how things are developing. Hopefully, we will have some news from you soon.
  • bensworld71
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by bensworld71 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:34 pm

I'm sad to see that your campaign didn't get the funding needed, I really liked the artwork
  • Syntax604
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Syntax604 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 am

member10681.html

@bensworld71 The campaign was successful and the target funds were reached. The creator has gone into hiding and will not respond on any platform. Meanwhile, on Instagram, they continue to post pictures of recently commissioned work.