Thoughts on for profit campaigns that also donate to charity
  • ASGames
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Thoughts on for profit campaigns that also donate to charity

by ASGames » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:08 pm

I was recently running a game demo at a local store and one of the people watching mentioned backing a kickstarter campaign that had a perk that promised to donate copies of their game to charity when a certain perk was suggested. I personally thought the idea was brilliant. Since it manages to push one of the higher priced perks, but it also helps get gamining into communities that might otherwise not be able to afford it, and it builds up karma for all involved. We are trying it on our current project, but I am also interested in hearing other people's thoughts on the matter. It sounds all good in my head, but do you have more/better insight on the idea?

Current Kickstarter Campaign: http://kck.st/2EnNaZq
    https://www.attentionspangames.com/repl ... -expansion
    Owner of Attention Span Games
    Producer of Carmine and Pocket RPG franchises
    Creator of Replicants franchise.
  • leonstafford
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Thoughts on for profit campaigns that also donate to cha

by leonstafford » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm

I think it's a noble intention and hope it comes to fruition. I think GoFundMe is the more charitable audience and perhaps running a separate campaign specifically for donating games, where backers there get a copy could work.

On KS, it may help some people who's primary driver is to buy the game for themselves, but who feel a bit better about knowing it helps someone else, too. The % of backers who feel this way I imagine to be quite low on KS, though.

I liked how in the FontAwesome KS campaign, their stretch goal (of $1 million!) saw them add a whole bunch of Pro features back into the free version.
    Helping secure WordPress sites and optimizing them for speed
    WP Static HTML Output - over 90,000 downloads
  • founding
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by founding » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:54 pm

My campaign (and future organization), will donate a portion of our sales to charity. It's more for personal reasons though -- I've done nonprofit work for quite a while, and even though I'm jumping into "commerce," I still want to do some good. Still, more capitalistically, I think research does show that charitably brands do pretty well -- it's a good hook. But it has to be integrated with your brand image.
  • Njack1014
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Njack1014 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:45 am

Hi! I think it is a fantastic idea for profit businesses to donate to charity. I am doing a kickstarter campaign which has a pay it forward concept and donating to volunteer fire and ambulance departments. So I completely agree with your concept and wish you all the success in the world. I will keep your project in my thoughts and prayers for it's success. Great job being part of reaching out to others in need. I love to meet new people and learn more about their brilliant ideas. If you want to keep in touch my email is firefighter_ems557@yahoo.com

Respectfully,
    Nancy
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:46 am

This post has been moved to the General Chat + Introduce Yourself section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman
    TimColeman
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Thoughts on for profit campaigns that also donate to charity

by TimColeman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:08 pm

I mean, why wouldn't it be allowed? It's not like you charge somebody money for it; it's charity! Speaking about charity in general, I've recently decided I want to be useful for once and chose to finally become a foster parent. I highly encourage all of you to consider this because it's super rewarding. First of all, you could change a child's life. Second, you get to experience something completely new. And third, you get paid for it. If you feel like this could interest you, please follow this link https://fosterplus.org .