Is a KS consultant the way to go?
  • ginga1
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Is a KS consultant the way to go?

by ginga1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 pm

I am totally new to creating a project on Kickstarter. Our team has an ongoing project to create a children's book and mobile app to show kids Africa from a perspective they normally don't get in the US. I have read many negative opinions on the use of Kickstarter consultants, but I was wondering how else to get constructive criticism on my Kickstarter project setup prior to launching the campaign. Does anyone know of a way for me to get folks (with no relation to me) to take a look at the project preview and give some feedback? I'm an IT consultant, so I am inclined to think that hiring a consultant (just for the pre-launch period) would be the way to go...just how wrong/right am I?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/206 ... n=7033b28c

roymorejon
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Is a KS consultant the way to go?

by roymorejon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Ginga,

We offer pre-KS launch consulting for campaigns like yours. Please let us know if we can help guide your campaign through the launch process.
    President - Enventys Partners https://enventyspartners.com

We've helped over 750+ projects & raised over 160 Million dollars fund on Kickstarter.

Request a quote to see if you qualify: https://enventyspartners.com/start-innovating/
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm

" I was wondering how else to get constructive criticism on my Kickstarter project setup prior to launching the campaign. "

See this thread (a user will give feedback in exchange for feedback): will-give-kickstarter-feedback-in-exchange-for-feedback-t1621.html

"I have read many negative opinions on the use of Kickstarter consultants"

It's important to keep a realistic view of what effect consultants can have. Most will set you on the right course (what you are doing wrong, strategy, etc). From what I've noticed, the ones that get involved in the management of the campaign usually are paid well and rightfully so or are managing multiple campaigns (which in my opinion is extremely difficult seeing as raising money for one is so hard). Always be sure to ask how they will drive traffic and what specific actions they will take each day (hours put in).

"So I am inclined to think that hiring a consultant (just for the pre-launch period)"

I think a consultant could have the greatest effect pre-launch, especially if you are new to the process. There is also a lot of free information out there. My blog (CrowdCrux.com), this blog (http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/), Kickstarter School (http://www.kickstarter.com/help/school? ... ur_project), Kickstarter FAQ (http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/cre ... ref=footer)
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:07 pm

• ginga1
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ginga1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:36 pm

@sbriggman thanks for the info!!
  • shootsomecomedy
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by shootsomecomedy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:37 am

I am not qualified to offer professional Kickstarter consulting but I can offer some feedback. I'm about to check Sbriggman's link and get started!
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:26 pm

Should you decide to go with any of them, be sure to leave a review on this forum so that others have an idea of what to expect!
  • denemante
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by denemante » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Has anyone used and had good experience with a KS consultant yet? Seems like KS is well-suited for the average person to manage themselves. Then coupled with advice found on sites like this one, it should get people moving in the right direction.

However - one thing I haven't found yet is a company who will promote your KS campaign for you. For example it's well-known that most of your KS funding comes from friends/family/Facebook friends, etc. (or so they say). As such, most probably have 200 such people in their life, and could probably squeeze them for $25 each, thus reaching a $5000 goal. But if every new backer is worth $25 to you, then in reality, how is that any different than a normal product for sale?

If I already had a $25 Widget for sale, I could go out and spend $2000 on advertising/marketing, and with luck, make $2500 in sales for a $500 profit. On Kickstarter, wouldn't it be much the same? Why not run a PPC campaign? If you spend $100 a day to advertise it, but get $125 in pledged funds, why not?

Or even use affiliate marketing. An affiliate might earn $5 for every $25 pledge they gain you. But with affiliate marketing, you don't have to spend that $5 until after you have the $25.

The whole point of KS is to get your product "out there". The more people that see it, use it - that's more people to talk about it, review it, and spread the word about it.

So it's almost like you handle your family/Facebook friends by yourself. That's "easy". Then a consultant would be responsible for getting strangers to pledge money.

Or is this what KS consultants already claim to do?