Q on App Costs ..
  • vitamin
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Q on App Costs ..

by vitamin » Thu May 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Heyya,

I'm just starting the initial phase of a project of which part of it includes building an App.

In pricing things out, I was doing a quick search online and was taken aback by the costs involved in developing an app!

I am seeing figures easily beyond 10k...even well beyond 20k in some instances; I'm stunned. :shock:

Firstly, is that what others have experienced? And secondly, anyone have some good resources for Application development and/or DIY info?

Thanks in advance.

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Q on App Costs ..

by sbriggman » Thu May 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Here is an article that gives a great overview on realistic app development costs: http://www.bluecloudsolutions.com/blog/ ... velop-app/

I've worked with mobile/tablet app companies in the past (acquiring clients mainly) and yes, expect to pay beyond 10k, unless it's a very simple app or there is an existing base of code.

It also depends on how many resources you have already set up (like graphics or UI).

The main cost is man hours. For example: Let's say an app developer who is good at his job can make $80/hr in the USA. Freelancing, that's $12,800 per month (assuming full-time development 40 hrs a week). If it takes 3 months to complete your app, that's $38,400.

If he was paid $60/hr and took 3 months, would still be $28,800.

Being able to develop apps is a highly in-demand skill and there is a shortage of programmers, which makes the costs high.

You can try to get around the cost by offshoring to a country where the wages are naturally less, or giving a developer equity in your app in exchanged for a reduced payment structure.

It also depends on whether it's a native app, HTLM5 app, has heavy database functionality, or is an interactive game. All impact costs and the number of people that you need to get involved (designers, illustrators, etc).

I know a few companies that develop apps (android and iphone) that I could put you in touch with. DIY - would need to learn programming (objective C & coca touch for IOS) (java for android). There are also sites out there that will help you build a static app (read content only like a news app) without needing programming knowledge.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • vitamin
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by vitamin » Thu May 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Great info... thanks sbriggman.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Fri May 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Definitely. If you think it would be helpful to others, be sure to tweet out the thread or share it on FB.

Sal
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • devdev
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by devdev » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:27 am

Development cost depends on the size of the hourly wage. And the developer’s time is expensive! in the US, an hour of work costs about $100, in Europe about $50, in India and other Asian countries at about $30 per hour.
    And development time depends on the complexity of your application. It can be both 100 hours and 1200 hours. You need to find out the estimate from one of the companies, often they offer to do it for free.