Please help me upgrade my work PC
  • manderson99
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Please help me upgrade my work PC

by manderson99 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:40 pm

I've started an Indiegogo project to help with my poor work PC (which is also my home/personal PC).

Long story short: The CPU is showing signs of age. It is unstable without increased voltage, which is not a good thing. Long term prospects for the chip are not necessarily very good. It needs a replacement. I am broke. Can you help me out?

Why would you want to do this? Well, it's like this:

1). Help me get a new-to-me CPU. I only really need about $35-$80, or something in that range, to get a good replacement chip for this old motherboard.
    2). I complete one or more projects for commercial applications to feed/clothe/shelter myself and my family, and to lead in to step 3).
    3). I finally finish the open-source/public domain (haven't decided on licensing yet) solar project I've been working on, in one form or another, since 2006 or so. The end result could be a solar thermal solution that breaks the Carnot efficiency limit by side-stepping the Carnot cycle entirely thanks to solid-oxide fuel cells . . . if it works.
    4). Everyone benefits from a low-cost, high-output, fully-scalable solar thermal solution.

Please note that I would have set my goal a lot lower if Indiegogo would have permitted me to do so! I don't need $500. I don't even need $100. $35+ would do the trick. Around $80 could get me an Athlon II x2 270 or 280 off eBay, which would be ideal for the single-threaded CAD/CAD-like applications that I'm using right now in step 2.

I'm not asking for a lot of money here, and the long-term benefits could be great for everyone. So, anyone want to help?

• fashion77
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Please help me upgrade my work PC

by fashion77 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:00 am

Good luck! Hope you reach your goal!!!
  • manderson99
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manderson99 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks, you and me both. Though, I must say, prospects aren't looking that good. I admit that I haven't done much to promote the project, and what I really wanted to see was what happened if I just put up a project and let it go (I put a few sig references on message board accounts I use on tech forums, but to be honest, self-promotion generally frowned-upon in those kinds of places).

But hey, now I know, and knowing is half the battle. GI JOE!!!!

*cough*
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:44 pm

I feel like the most likely people to pledge or donate would be from your social network. Also, I would highly recommend creating a video for your campaign.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • manderson99
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manderson99 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:27 pm

I honestly would have put together a video if I could have hosted it on Indiegogo's servers instead of having to bother with YouTube or Vimeo (won't use them right now, personal reasons). The people in my 'social network' are about as broke as I am or are people to whom I am already sufficiently indebted that I don't want to bother them.
  • manderson99
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manderson99 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:24 am

On the down side, the project is about to end with $0 in funding. On the up side, I may be working for a local startup that would, among other things, get me enough money to upgrade my CPU. So I guess things are looking okay regardless.

It's been a learning experience, and that's a good thing no matter how you look at it otherwise.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:39 pm

What kind of startup are you going to be working for? Glad it was a learning experience!
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • manderson99
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by manderson99 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:49 am

It's an indie game project which will probably wind up on Android.
    KylieShorta
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by KylieShorta » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Hey, I cannot help you with money but rather with a piece of advice. 5 years ago, I was on the way to building my first PC but I did not have the needed knowledge of buying the necessary pieces all by myself. I knew I needed a CPU but I didn't know what it serves and what is the purpose of it therefore I was an easy target for scamming. One day my friend recommended this site gadgetguide.in for guidance related to PC specs and all kinds of PCs already built which entered my price range. Thanks to it I managed to manage my money in a way to afford a balanced PC with everything strong enough to let me play the games I wanted and to work on the projects I needed.