Taxes & Import Duties
  • Wekom
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Taxes & Import Duties

by Wekom » Tue May 23, 2017 5:27 pm

We're getting really near launching our new project on Kickstarter (Children's Educational Soft Toy). BUT... I'm worried about taxes, specifically import taxes.

The toys are being made in CHINA. The KS campaign is being run in the UK and we expect most of the backers to be from there and/or the US. But what are the implications of the import duty, VAT etc. assuming that we are successful. :lol:

We don't expect the project to take us over the VAT threshold, so weren't going to register at this time. If anybody has any experience of this we would be delighted to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,

Amy at Wekom.

hyperstarter
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Taxes & Import Duties

by hyperstarter » Thu May 25, 2017 9:28 am

So I think you should be looking at VAT and Import tax in China. I looked the other day and saw China changed it to about 60% for cosmetics and 30%+ for electronics...a huge amount.
    Promote your campaign today with Hyperstarter & use our free tool to identify Kickstarter page problems & fixes: https://www.hyperstarter.com/about
  • Wekom
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Wekom » Thu May 25, 2017 9:34 am

OK thanks.
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Mon May 29, 2017 3:14 am

This post has been moved to the Kickstarter and Crowdfunding Questions Only (Strict) section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman
    SantaMonica
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by SantaMonica » Mon May 29, 2017 11:25 am

It's not importing into China, it's importing into UK/US. So you would look at duties there.
  • charli55
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by charli55 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Hi everyone. Do you have some updates about the taxes? Can you please share them? You know wonder how some people are not afraid of taxes and they just take the risks. I have had bad experiences with taxes so I really don't wanna pass-through this again. I have a friend who found this site where he could submit all personal information about his firm in order to connect to the general service of taxes so everything turned to his benefits. So I'm thinking about doing the same thing. But if you have some news about the taxes, please share them.
    Imusta
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Imusta » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:23 am

As far as I know from April 1, 2019, China’s import VAT on imported goods has been lowered to either 9 percent or 13 percent, down from the previous 10 percent or 16 percent, according to the Announcement of the State Taxation Administration (STA) on Deepening the Reform of VAT. In principle, it depends on the type of each imported product. My company deals with such imports, because of this I had to turn to https://szwedaconsulting.com/. They deal with calculating my income, taxes and advise me from which country it is more convenient to import different products.
  • Morgan Lee
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Morgan Lee » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:55 am

Imusta wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:23 am As far as I know from April 1, 2019, China’s import VAT on imported goods has been lowered to either 9 percent or 13 percent, down from the previous 10 percent or 16 percent, according to the Announcement of the State Taxation Administration (STA) on Deepening the Reform of VAT. In principle, it depends on the type of each imported product. My company deals with such imports, because of this I had to turn to https://szwedaconsulting.com/. They deal with calculating my income, taxes and advise me from which country it is more convenient to import different products.
    I think that China’s import VAT on imported goods has been lowered, because of the pandemic, no one wants to import things from there anymore, but I think this is impossible because most of the goods are made in China. Actually, the economy of other states depends on it.
    Xanxan
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Xanxan » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:39 pm

those taxes are crazy!
    Rebelif
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Rebelif » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Man, those taxes are really insane! To be honest, I understand why we have to pay those taxes, and I do agree that the import taxes should not be "small", however 60% for cosmetics and 30%+ for electronics is just insane! I mean, let's be honest, if you really want to have a good profit, you will have to charge an incredible amount of money from the customers, which is not ok, at least that is my own point of view. Honestly, I am tired of these taxes, the amount of taxes, and the freaking tax forms maaaaan, those are the most annoying things in my life. I have to complete the 1040 form right now, and I have to tell you that it is the most stupid tax form that I have ever seen! I have got no idea what I should write in there! Thankfully, there are some instructions for it on https://1040-form-instructions.com/ , if I hadn't found it, I would not be able to complete it.