Does Kickstarter favor bigger projects?
  • acapaday
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Does Kickstarter favor bigger projects?

by acapaday » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 pm

I have just launched my project 4 days ago --> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ac ... ap-project but have seen pretty low traffic to my page. I started advertising a few weeks back in fb groups, with various fb ads, and even wasted money on a low-end PR firm which turned out to be a scam (generated 0 returns).

This led me to wonder if Kickstarter favours bigger projects with much higher goals (at least $10k). Bigger projects will definitely find it more manageable to hire PR firms (due to the upfront fees which is at least a few hundreds), while the pricing don't make sense for small projects with very little budget like ours. This is the same for fb ads.

I have spent nearly $200 on marketing now, but feel that I have thrown the money into the sea. What do you guys think? Is there a problem with my marketing strategy, or is it that my product is not good enough in the first place? ):

Thanks for reading!

• EpicWebs
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Does Kickstarter favor bigger projects?

by EpicWebs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:41 pm

The only advice I can offer is to find content creators that would love your product and ask them to talk about it on whatever channel they use to create content, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Blogs.

Apart from Facebook the main traffic I get to my websites (not kickstarter) is from other content creators sharing my work/product.

Good luck!
  • ally.n.s.
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ally.n.s. » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:12 pm

The Kickstarter analytics do favor projects that get more traction. If your page gets a lot of traffic, it automatically gets boosted in the Kickstarter ranks of what gets shown on their homepage, etc. So it doesn't mean you necessarily have to have a high-goal campaign to get that favor--I did a $2000-goal project that was 300% funded, so I got a lot of views because of that--but it's getting that initial push that'll move you up in the ranks, get you selected as a PWL, etc.

It doesn't help that Facebook changed their analytics, and now you have to pay for posts to even get seen by people who like or follow you. :/
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:48 am

This post has been moved to the Kickstarter and Crowdfunding Questions Only (Strict) section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman
    Tom Beckett
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Tom Beckett » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 pm

ally.n.s. wrote:The Kickstarter analytics do favor projects that get more traction. If your page gets a lot of traffic, it automatically gets boosted in the Kickstarter ranks of what gets shown on their homepage, etc. So it doesn't mean you necessarily have to have a high-goal campaign to get that favor--I did a $2000-goal project that was 300% funded, so I got a lot of views because of that--but it's getting that initial push that'll move you up in the ranks, get you selected as a PWL, etc.

It doesn't help that Facebook changed their analytics, and now you have to pay for posts to even get seen by people who like or follow you. :/

Ally is right here. The goal size doesn't matter. If I set a $200,000 goal and get $0, why should I get more priority over someone who has a $5,000 goal and is $1,500 in? Engineering a big launch day to get you a high backer count, high percentage funded, and dollar amount is how you get attention from the KS algorithm.

Marketing dollars should really be spent building up your email list before you launch the project. Then, once you're live and have some other marketing money set aside, dial up more paid ad activities that you KNOW already get you conversions - whether those are email signups (pre-launch) or backers (live).
    Last edited by Tom Beckett on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    smokoinc
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by smokoinc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:40 am

I don't think it matters.
  • Defyne Design
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by Defyne Design » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 pm

I would second that. It shouldn't matter. I think you might be selling a difficult product for a crowdfunding site.

Looks like you are close to your goal, though.
  • martinreese
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by martinreese » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:11 am

It doesn't matter. I've seen projects with relatively small goals greatly exceed their target. It really depends on your marketing strategy. The key from my understanding is getting the word out early. It really helps to engage in social media so people know who you are.