Making Your Kickstarter Video
  • kgomez203
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Making Your Kickstarter Video

by kgomez203 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi all,

My employer wants us to use a 13 minute video for our Kickstarter. I understand his reasoning -- the topic of our campaign (which hasn't yet launched but has to do with VR) is very complex and takes time to explain. However, I know most successful campaigns have videos that are 5 minutes maximum...

Have any of you successfully ran a campaign with a video longer than 5 minutes?

DaveGarber1975
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: Making Your Kickstarter Video

by DaveGarber1975 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:42 pm

My employer Funded Today has worked with nearly 2,000 clients now, but I don't remember any who had videos nearly that long. Wow. The "sweet spot" seems to be somewhere around 2 minutes. Ideally, you should keep it between 1 minute and 3 minutes.

My first thought is that, if you MUST make a video that long, then you should work extra hard to ensure that it's very very very engaging. If it's captivating enough, and if viewers get really "into" it, then they won't care how long it is. When I watched the extended "Lord of the Rings" films, for example, four hours passed easily, and I could have easily watched longer. When I've watched other movies, two hours was perhaps a bit much.

If you can reduce that length at all, though, then it would probably be worthwhile. Anytime you can take a 20-second segment and condense it into 10 seconds without reducing its impact upon viewers, it's advisable to do so. It's good to communicate as efficiently as possible without losing any effectiveness.
    Last edited by DaveGarber1975 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I work for Funded Today, which has helped hundreds of crowdfunding projects on Kickstarter and/or Indiegogo to raise over $175,000,000 altogether. How may we help you? Please learn more at www.funded.today and/or www.fundedtodayreviews.com