Should I include an 'About Us' video on my campaign?
  • becky3343
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Should I include an 'About Us' video on my campaign?

by becky3343 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:42 pm

I am going to be creating my first kickstarter campaign next month for the launch of a greeting card business that has a strong social/charity element.

The main video will be describing the project and products with around 20 seconds at the end of me saying why we're asking for funds and where they will be going. What I'm not sure about is whether we should have a separate animated video lower down in the campaign that tells people more about me and my wife and our journey which led to this project. We are pretty private people and are definitely not doing this for the glory but I wonder whether this would seem self-involved? From what I have read, people love seeing personal elements and learning about the creators and we do have a pretty unique story that involves travelling/living abroad, volunteering, getting through hard times etc. We would usually not be so open about this but I'm just wondering whether this would be a benefit to the campaign, in which case we'll go for it.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks :)

• lloyd
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: Should I include an 'About Us' video on my campaign?

by lloyd » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi becky3343,
    The folks funding you are giving you money in exchange for your product/service. To create trust in your ability to actually produce after you've gotten the money, an about us section would be good. Folks who have a doubt about you will read this and feel more confident about funding you.

What I'd recommend for your about us:
    1. Show a pic of you and your team
    2. Share the skill each team member brings to the project
    3. Talk about your past achievements
    4. Tell them why you are confident you can deliver.

I hope this helps.
  • becky3343
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by becky3343 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:29 pm

lloyd wrote:Hi becky3343,
    The folks funding you are giving you money in exchange for your product/service. To create trust in your ability to actually produce after you've gotten the money, an about us section would be good. Folks who have a doubt about you will read this and feel more confident about funding you.

What I'd recommend for your about us:
    1. Show a pic of you and your team
    2. Share the skill each team member brings to the project
    3. Talk about your past achievements
    4. Tell them why you are confident you can deliver.

I hope this helps.

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks so much for the reply :) I hadn't thought to include our skills, I'll definitely do that. What do you think about the video animation? I guess this would cover number 4. Why we are confident we an deliver. It would be a 2-3min story of what my partner and I have been doing over the passed 7 years and what led us to creating the project. Or do you think this would be overkill and photos/text is enough?
  • lloyd
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by lloyd » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 pm

It's not overkill. Be honest and don't over do it. There is a chance you may come off "faking" your background and skills. The point is to inform the viewer that you have the background and skill to finish the project.

As for a video in the about us, YES. Make a video with you guys taking and it will help create additional confidence.
  • lowkey
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by lowkey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:13 am

lloyd wrote:It's not overkill. Be honest and don't over do it. There is a chance you may come off "faking" your background and skills. The point is to inform the viewer that you have the background and skill to finish the project.

As for a video in the about us, YES. Make a video with you guys taking and it will help create additional confidence.

true to this. About us is as important as it sounds. You need to increase customer confidence.
    Personal Record : Assisted 13 Campaigns - 13K Backers - $2M Funded
    1 Year 7 Months Crowdfunding Marketing Compiled
    http://bit.ly/marketingresearchcompiled