2ND DAY OF MY FIRST KICKSTARTER - 3 Lessons
  • deepakk
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

2ND DAY OF MY FIRST KICKSTARTER - 3 Lessons

by deepakk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello all!

My name is Deepak, I'm from Toronto, Canada. I just launched my very first Kickstarter campaign yesterday and we're well on track to hit 50% of our goal today. You can check out the campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cu ... bank-cards
    (would appreciate any feedback).

But the real reason I wanted to write this post was to share some things I've learned over the last few weeks trying to put together this campaign.

Lesson #1: Create all your promotional assets and content a few days before launch. It saved us so much time when we launched because there's so just many little things you need when you launch. Creative assets for social media, press assets, content for all platforms. Getting all these prepped before hand was really helpful as we could solely focus on getting the word out.

Lesson #2: Don't underestimate friends and family. Tapping into your own personal network can be tricky for some people and even hard. But a lot of people tend to underestimate the power of it! 80% of our initial backers were friends and family, we emailed all our acquaintances, messaged each of our Facebook friends one by one, DM'd all our Instagram followers one by one. All this really helped!

Lesson #3: When it comes to Press, start small. Initially, we just reached out to all the big blogs out there and expected them to write about us but Press doesn't work that way. You have to get the smaller outlets to write about you first. Because the bigger blogs have a lot of reputation to carry so they don't take any chances by featuring you out of the blue. Get on your local newspaper, local blogs for your category, build the credibility then move on to bigger blogs!

Hopefully those help and please let me know what lessons you've learned in your replies. Would love to hear from y'all :)

hyperstarter
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: 2ND DAY OF MY FIRST KICKSTARTER - 3 Lessons

by hyperstarter » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for all the advice! So you're at $4k+ raised and 74 backers which isn't too bad for 2 days.

I think CUCU looks great. You guys have a ton of energy in your videos and the designs look really cool. I was wondering if the stickers are legal/allowed by banks so that might be something to address, but CUCU makes alot of sense and a quick scan on eBay/Amazon shows there's nothing like it right now.

For the next steps you really need to get the word out there, probably via social media is easier and show people visually the benefits.

Even going out on the streets is a great idea,showing people in malls/shopping crowds the benefits and if they ask where to get it -give them your Kickstarter url!

Let me know if we can help with your promotion.

deepakk wrote:Hello all!

My name is Deepak, I'm from Toronto, Canada. I just launched my very first Kickstarter campaign yesterday and we're well on track to hit 50% of our goal today. You can check out the campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cu ... bank-cards

But the real reason I wanted to write this post was to share some things I've learned over the last few weeks trying to put together this campaign.

Lesson #1: Create all your promotional assets and content a few days before launch. It saved us so much time when we launched because there's so just many little things you need when you launch. Creative assets for social media, press assets, content for all platforms. Getting all these prepped before hand was really helpful as we could solely focus on getting the word out.

Lesson #2: Don't underestimate friends and family. Tapping into your own personal network can be tricky for some people and even hard. But a lot of people tend to underestimate the power of it! 80% of our initial backers were friends and family, we emailed all our acquaintances, messaged each of our Facebook friends one by one, DM'd all our Instagram followers one by one. All this really helped!

Lesson #3: When it comes to Press, start small. Initially, we just reached out to all the big blogs out there and expected them to write about us but Press doesn't work that way. You have to get the smaller outlets to write about you first. Because the bigger blogs have a lot of reputation to carry so they don't take any chances by featuring you out of the blue. Get on your local newspaper, local blogs for your category, build the credibility then move on to bigger blogs!

Hopefully those help and please let me know what lessons you've learned in your replies. Would love to hear from y'all :)
    Promote your campaign today with Hyperstarter & use our free tool to identify Kickstarter page problems & fixes: https://www.hyperstarter.com/about
  • deepakk
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by deepakk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Thank you so much for your reply and encouragement. Really appreciate it.

Yeah, we address the bank question in our campaign page where we answer a few common questions. Definitely, we'll be testing some guerilla marketing stuff. Our next goal is really to scale the project by getting some press features. Since you saw our campaign, what story angle you think we should pitch to press? The novelty of the product? The homeless youth artist? The idea overall?

In terms of promotion, would really appreciate if you could spread the word amongst friends and family! That would be really helpful. If you have any other insider tips/ backer communities, let us know :)

hyperstarter wrote:Hi Deepak,

Thanks for all the advice! So you're at $4k+ raised and 74 backers which isn't too bad for 2 days.

I think CUCU looks great. You guys have a ton of energy in your videos and the designs look really cool. I was wondering if the stickers are legal/allowed by banks so that might be something to address, but CUCU makes alot of sense and a quick scan on eBay/Amazon shows there's nothing like it right now.

For the next steps you really need to get the word out there, probably via social media is easier and show people visually the benefits.

Even going out on the streets is a great idea,showing people in malls/shopping crowds the benefits and if they ask where to get it -give them your Kickstarter url!

Let me know if we can help with your promotion.

deepakk wrote:Hello all!

hyperstarter
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by hyperstarter » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Actually we run a service here with info at: http://www.hyperstarter.com/submit
    Promote your campaign today with Hyperstarter & use our free tool to identify Kickstarter page problems & fixes: https://www.hyperstarter.com/about
  • dlai
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by dlai » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi, I am also in Toronto. Looks like a fun, cool project. Hope you do well!
  • deepakk
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by deepakk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:52 pm

Awesome man. Have you also launched a Kickstarter project?
  • dlai
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by dlai » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Not yet, but we are working on it right now. Plan to launch next month.
  • TheHanga
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by TheHanga » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:20 am

Hello Everyone!
    My name is Justin and we are one week into our campaign. This is our launch product and it is a new, creative take on the traditional clothing hanger. Today we hit a plateau. Can anyone give me any advice?! Here is our page:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22 ... nav_search
  • Uncle Spaceman
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Uncle Spaceman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 am

how are you all getting so many backers? my friends are all broke atm, they are however posting my project everywhere... i only need 3k total.. i feel that shouldn't be too hard... I'm 2 days in with 50 bucks.. =/
  • dbrady91
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by dbrady91 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:01 pm

TheHanga wrote:Hello Everyone!
    My name is Justin and we are one week into our campaign. This is our launch product and it is a new, creative take on the traditional clothing hanger. Today we hit a plateau. Can anyone give me any advice?! Here is our page:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22 ... nav_search

My campaign is on day 2 at around 75% funded ($1700). We haven't paid for any advertising,we've just been trying to post in as many places online as possible to expand our web presence.

Here's the link to my campaign for PenUltimate X1

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... t-mightier