My Kickstarter just got destroyed on reddit
  • kage
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

My Kickstarter just got destroyed on reddit

by kage » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 am

Well my confidence just got shattered to the point where even the way I write was ridiculed, just started my Kickstarter today and already feel depressed, I had this great idea for a board game pretty much designing what I thought was an impressive simplified version of Dungeons and Dragons with beautifully designed playing cards and simple to follow rules. But after trying to promote it on Reddit I got a 1000 word essay on everything wrong about it.

So I need some advice has anyone gotten any abusive or painful comments about their Kickstarter creation?

And, is there someone here who has started a Kickstarter for a Boardgame and how did it go?

giftsandcoupons
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: My Kickstarter just got destroyed on reddit

by giftsandcoupons » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Probably best to suck it up...I guess you posted your kickstarter at the wrong place/wrong time...was it actually related to the Reddit section you were in?

I think you could consider a rebranding, take their comments with a pinch of salt and carry on...good luck!
    http://www.giftsandcoupons.com/submit - Get more exposure of your Kickstarter / Indiegogo Project

http://www.giftsandcoupons.com - We Showcase the Ultimate Gifts
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:21 pm

kage wrote:Well my confidence just got shattered to the point where even the way I write was ridiculed, just started my Kickstarter today and already feel depressed, I had this great idea for a board game pretty much designing what I thought was an impressive simplified version of Dungeons and Dragons with beautifully designed playing cards and simple to follow rules. But after trying to promote it on Reddit I got a 1000 word essay on everything wrong about it.

So I need some advice has anyone gotten any abusive or painful comments about their Kickstarter creation?

And, is there someone here who has started a Kickstarter for a Boardgame and how did it go?

You didn't bother to post a link to the Reddit thread where your confidence was so easily shattered, so one can only speculate about its value, or lack thereof.

If your project was ridiculed, then you got off light, for ridicule cuts not nearly so deep as criticism rooted in a more solid foundation of analysis.

What's the point of bothering with confidence in the first place, if you intend to allow others to smash it so easily? Learn to detach yourself, emotionally, from the handiwork of your own creation, and then you will be much better suited to turning criticism into advantage for your project.

Your project video is over eighteen minutes long. Have you gone daft? To make matters worse, to add insult to the injury of time consumption that watching that bloated behemoth would give life to, is that you utilize that cosmic-sized video to narrate what is, in essence, a Power Point presentation. Such is the thing from whence madness is derived!

Your chosen style of presenting yourself in your project video is counter-productive. It is a maelstrom of negative energy. Shaking your head and hands, saying, "I don't know," do you suppose that such is the path to success in reaching your funding goal?

Your funding goal is five digits. It is an enormous amount of money, and yet you dress your project page in the visual equivalent of shrunken heads. Just look at your imagery on your project page! Tiny images. Small text. Your addiction to Power Point presentations will be your crowdfunding project's undoing.

The "Share this project" button/link yields a grand total of just one, single, solitary share on Facebook. Thus, word of mouth can never generate and spread from such a narrow set of initial activity on the social media front.

Your voice has a hushed quality to it. Thus, your words fall with reduced impact upon the listener.

This project will likely never get funded using this approach. It does an absolutely horrendous job of showcasing the underlying game.
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Is this the link to the thread on Reddit, where your confidence got shattered?

http://www.reddit.com/r/tabletopgamedes ... d_game_by/

Would you have preferred that the criticism of your project be done more in the style of some recent criticism that you voiced about Taylor Swift, as in the posting on your Facebook page found in the link, below?

https://www.facebook.com/chris.v.dass/p ... 1716887698

If you decide to revamp your project page on Kickstarter, you might want to consider incorporating the following image of yourself, as I think it is a very good photo of you.

Do you have an online gallery of images for your game, by chance?
  • kage
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by kage » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Wow ok well first off yeah that is the reddit post thought it got deleted guess not, anyway I am new to all this Kickstarter, Youtube, Facebook and all that, I am new, I don't have a lot of friends and I am the biggest Introvert in the world that video was the first time I had ever filmed myself and listening to my own voice for the first time probably the last. All I wanted to do was present an Idea to the world about this Boardgame I have designed If I have presented it wrong tell me nicely instead of calling me or my project a "bloated behemoth."

I have taken down the Video will post another one later and I will change the way I have presented it on the Kickstarter Page. I asked a question nicely but I forgot that this is the internet. Also yeah I never listened to Taylor Swift before but I am not making money from the death of someone besides who is going to read my S#!TTY comments. Last thanks for the advice I guess I am Emotionally Attached to this project but shouldn't everyone be emotionally attached if people don't believe in there own project then no one else will believe.

Thank you
    Kage
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:27 pm

kage wrote:Wow ok well first off yeah that is the reddit post thought it got deleted guess not, anyway I am new to all this Kickstarter, Youtube, Facebook and all that, I am new, I don't have a lot of friends and I am the biggest Introvert in the world that video was the first time I had ever filmed myself and listening to my own voice for the first time probably the last. All I wanted to do was present an Idea to the world about this Boardgame I have designed If I have presented it wrong tell me nicely instead of calling me or my project a "bloated behemoth."

I have taken down the Video will post another one later and I will change the way I have presented it on the Kickstarter Page. I asked a question nicely but I forgot that this is the internet. Also yeah I never listened to Taylor Swift before but I am not making money from the death of someone besides who is going to read my S#!TTY comments. Last thanks for the advice I guess I am Emotionally Attached to this project but shouldn't everyone be emotionally attached if people don't believe in there own project then no one else will believe.

Thank you
    Kage[/quote]

Being emotionally attached to a project to the point where criticism leaves your confidence shattered is detrimental to your project.

Your project needs to be around three minutes long, give or take a minute. At six times that, your project was, indeed, a bloated behemoth. Others, of course, may be of a different opinion. Watering down criticism of a project, simply because a project creator prefers. If all that you want is praise for the project, or criticism that is spoon-fed with pleasantries, then what you will end up with is watered down critique of your project.

As far as your own criticism is concerned, with regard to your Facebook posting about Taylor Swift, it is interesting to note that you don't mince words in the delivery of your criticism. Yet, you want criticism to be delivered "nicely," whatever that is? Ultimately, I suspect that more people will end up reading your comments about her than you appreciated, at first.

The vast majority of the public that views your project page will think what they think about it in silence. They won't bother to tell you how good it is, or how badly that it sucks.

If describing your project video as a bloated behemoth gets the message across, such that you take it down, then mission accomplished on that front.

How many people do you think would be likely to actually watch that super-length project video to completion?
  • kage
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by kage » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 pm

Ok let me try to give a critique lets see, "Hey Kage I believe your video is too long if you want to get Backers, you need to make your video short and to the point, so the Audience knows what they are getting." or "I think you should make the visuals on your Kickstarter page larger so the Audience will be able to see the designs that you have made, since they are small it is so hard to see or read the cards" hows that,

Also It seems to me you do not understand the difference between a rant and a critique, so time for some enlightenment, my rant is at how no one has mentioned the fact that Taylor Swift wrote a song about the Death of James Dean and is not offended, a Critique would be "Hey Taylor, how are you, I see that you have written a song about someones death and now profiting off a tragic accident that has happened, I was thinking maybe making it a little less subtle like not mentioning the dead guys name in the video, hey how about we sing about the death of Elvis next"

Why am I even talking about her I'm here for my Kickstarter which is now overlooked by my rant of Taylor Swift. I just want to know how people have dealt with Abusive and Nasty comments (My boardgame is not profiting off the death of anyone) and if there was any other people here that has designed a boardgame before.
  • kage
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by kage » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:07 pm

Nevermind I cancelled my project what's the point
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:40 pm

kage wrote:Nevermind I cancelled my project what's the point

Typically, the point is to meet - or exceed - the funding goal, although projects can be launched simply as learning experiences.

You rush to get your confidence shattered, then you rush to cancel your project. That approach won't ever be successful.

You can always re-launch a Kickstarter project that failed. Tweak it, and then re-launch it at a future date. Use larger images, and look at how various other projects do their videos, particularly projects that proved to be successful.

Lower your funding goal, to make it easier to reach. Re-think things through, both big things and small things.
  • digktialx
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by digktialx » Fri May 01, 2015 6:45 pm

You will always get people that will be very negative, This could be a variety of reasons - jealousy, don't like your product, trolling, competition, etc. I've had some some people get too aggressive so I doubt their motivations. The upside is learning what people are asking for and taking that information and using it to relaunch your project for a more successful launch. Reddit has a reputation for being very harsh out of the gate. I agree with what the others have said you have to learn to take feedback and critique to be able to improve and understand. Sure some of that feedback or critique isn't going to be useful so take what you will from it and apply it to future projects. You'll have to put yourself out there - people want to buy the guy behind the project before they actually invest in the project itself!

I'd recommend NOT engaging people that are very aggressive on forums since it can derail the thread and you have no control whatsoever. It's best to get them to media that you can control - Facebook, Twitter, Etc on YOUR terms. Thats one thing I've learned from working Forums.

Dont give up if you believe in the project!