What is your day job? What is your passion project?
  • gotsinky
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: What is your day job? What is your passion project?

by gotsinky » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi everyone, My day job is renewable energy consultant and I enjoy it, but I have been putting my real dreams on backburner for years. One of those dreams is to patent one of my many inventions and bring it to market. Thanks, in part, to kickstarter I can now mark the patent part off my bucket list. Kickstarter really motivated me to proceed with patent process, knowing I might have an affordable way to get the product seen by the public.

.I'm new here and new to kickstarter... so far my first crowd funding campaign seems to be tracking great! This is such an awesome supportive community!

Since this is where we get to know eachother, im just posting my entire bio from kickstarter, but long story short. After losing my son, Im at a point in life where I realize there is only so much time in life and it's best spent chasing plan A!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80 ... ush-protec

My name is Brandon Wareham. Over the last year my daughter Leila and I have lost just about everything, but we are rebuilding. The thing about losing everything is that you find yourself with nothing to lose. My son, Leila’s little brother, downed last year. I had private insurance but it didn’t cover everything, one medical bill after another culminated in bankruptcy.

I work in green sales and enjoy it, but sales has really always been more of a “plan B” for me. I am more driven than ever to pursue “plan A.” I believe those of us who have lost a child or anyone close at a young age feel a tacit obligation to truly value the gift of time we still have on earth. They were given so little time, and we inevitably ask ourselves “what am I doing with mine.” How would they want us to spend our time? And I know in my heart that at least part of that answer is, whatever I would have put into raising him; I ought to put at least twice as much into raising his big sister.

The other part of the answer is to recognize that he didn’t get his turn, so I need to do everything in my power to make the best of mine. Over the years, I have had all kinds of ideas and a handful of them are pretty solid. It seems like I’m always trying to stay grounded, reign in my ambition and do whatever’s most practical to ensure a roof and food for my family. As it turns out, you can fail at “plan B” too. So why not give “plan A” a shot?

Patenting something has always been on my bucket list, and I can finally check that off the list now. Of all the ideas I had, I chose Mr. Sinky for a couple of reasons, some practical and some sentimental. Firstly, I just had to pick one idea and run with it. So far in my life I have wasted a lot of time paralyzed by indecision. I could do “this,” then I think “that” might work better, just as “oh this other thing” pops into mind.

The practical reason for committing to this Mr. Sinky idea is that out of all the inventions/prototypes I have, it’s the easiest to manufacture inexpensively in my workshop, I can make them to order and still turn a small profit without having to enlist some huge manufacturing contract to bring down cost.

The bigger reason for running with MR Sinky as my first patent is that it was inspired by my dad. It’s not really his concept or solution, but he’s the one who pointed out that there was a lot of room for improvement for the toothbrush holder as a common household device. My dad raised five kids back home in Wisconsin. I’m the youngest and moved to California when I turned 18. He has always been a hardworking man, but was never able to get ahead enough to pursue any of the ideas on his “plan A” list. He and mom put everything they had into the family. I’d really; really like him to see one of the seeds he planted come to fruition. It’s not just for him, I mean doesn’t every son want to make his dad proud?

So for me, it’s the culmination of it all. At this point, I have nothing to lose. I don’t have my son, but I can still be the type of son he would have been one day for my dad. I can choose to see this demolition of my life as an opportunity to rebuild from the ground up as the Father Mason would want me to be for his big sister. That means being the dad who believes in his own ability to follow through with “plan A.” It means doing everything I can to make the best of my turn, because not everyone gets theirs.

Thank you!

ipeekyouboo
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by ipeekyouboo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:54 pm

What is your day job?
    Managing the design department mainly on Jewellery. Now venturing into branding which its a big help for my own jewellery brand :) I hope my kickstarter project is a success , that would be a dream come true <3

What is your passion project?
    I'd been living in a city filled with air and water pollution and no one is doing anything to make it better. So i would love to turn my skills / knowledge / background which is designing jewellery inspired by animals / plants / nature elements to raise awareness in environmental issues.
    Peek & Boo
    Jewelry inspired by the wonderful world around us with environmental preservation in mind.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1310785624/peek-and-boo-nature-inspired-jewelry
    mmacisso
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by mmacisso » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:36 pm

I am a full time Real Estate Broker in the US in the State of Maine, but I am launching my first entrepreneurial endeavor. I'm really excited and nervous. I'm passionate about my home town of Portland Maine and how its exploding in popularity.
    Cheers,
    Marty Macisso Jr
    Owner
    Maine's Best Lobster Roll LLC

http://bit.ly/MainesBestLobsterRollKS
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:43 pm

What is your day job?
    Self employed designer, Solidworks CAD modeler. Check out my portfolio at GrabCad.com

https://grabcad.com/jonathan-149/projects

What is your passion project?

Too many to list, I've started focusing on bringing smaller product designs to market, things that are more affordable.

Big long term project, make the perfect light, off road, weight motorcycle
    Carol
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Carol » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:53 pm

My day job is as a copywriter at an ad agency. My passion projects are writing and drawing a graphic novel and a webcomic. The webcomic is the project that I'll be crowdfunding. It's a webcomic where people vote on what happens next, so I'm raising money to hire a web developer and designer to create an easy-to-use website allowing the audience to easily participate in the fun.
  • RDProjects
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by RDProjects » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:08 pm

My husband and I run our own design and manufacturing company, RD Projects (check out our website at http://www.realized-designs.com). We contact Kickstarter and Indiegogo projects that we think we may be of use to once they have to get stuck into design for manufacturing, more in depth prototyping, sourcing and finding a good fit for a place to get their product manufactured. My background is in Business and I speak Chinese, and my husband has been working in Design and Product Management for years. We've done a lot of consumer electronics in the past, but now with our own thing we have a current client list that looks like the shopping list of a crazy person! We do anything and everything, apart from clothing!
  • timothylevey
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by timothylevey » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:57 am

My day job is IT support and Ignition Interlocks. My passion is ideation and figuring out better solutions.
  • Valentin M
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Valentin M » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Hey guys,

well, im new on kickstarter and these forum.

I successfully graduated from a university-preparatory school, or highschool, in Germany. my school subjects were technology and management. but soon iam a soldier^^. 11 moohts of duty xD.

This is my first project. i would like to know if you would get one in your car?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/332640430/exhaust-ventilator-compressed-air-system-evcas

pls. subscibe.
    BEST REGARDS / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Valentin M.
    GlowGene
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --
    Location: Melbourne, Australia (The best country in the world) :)

by GlowGene » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi!
    I'm a student studying Biotechnology.
    I've always wanted to be a genetic engineer when I grow up.
    My passion project would probably to be making whatever I am in my lab :)

My Kickstarter is a kit that lets you genetically engineer cells and create your own GMOs that do useful things, so I'm loving what I do at the moment :)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glowgene/glowgene-create-new-lifeforms-by-mixing-up-dna
    The Genetic Engineering kit that lets you make GMOs by playing with DNA!
  • GianSch
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by GianSch » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:25 pm

Hello,

My name is Gian. I'm a scholar. I'm doing research on crowdfunding and gift economy. This is my last work: Users' Patronage: The Return of the Gift in the "Crowd Society," http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... id=2659659. I think it might be of interest. Also, I'd love to hear your suggestions on how to make it better.