Tips and advice on how to become a dog groomer
    tracygaug
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Tips and advice on how to become a dog groomer

by tracygaug » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi I'm new to forums and am looking for advice on how to get into dog grooming as a career.

I'm in my mid forties and currently have a full time job working Monday to Friday. I'm looking for a career change and really want to do something about it before it's too late. However I'm not sure on the best way to do it as I would have to fit my training around my current job.

I'm looking at enrolling on a one day introduction to dog grooming and doing an online diploma to give me some knowledge of the job. I have also found a college offering City and Guilds level 2 of which I can do most of it online and then attend college for a week.

The thing I'm most concerned about is gaining practical experience as can only really do this at the weekends or evenings if viable as I can't afford to leave my current job until I have enough training and experience.

Has anybody got any advice they can give on becoming a groomer or been in a similar situation as myself?

Thanks in advance

• MrOsborne
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Tips and advice on how to become a dog groomer

by MrOsborne » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:17 am

I'm not sure how that course provider is able to offer C&G level 2 with one weeks practical as the guided learning hours are about 180.
    rubyarcox
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by rubyarcox » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:18 am

I recently thought about this. Hairdressers can use the heads of rubber people with artificial or real hair to train future professionals with artificial hair. Why not do the same for groomers? The practice question is really very important. I could recommend to anyone interested in grooming a dog these online courses. You can attend them from anywhere. You will get a good theoretical basis, but the question of practice remains. But I think you can come up with something yourself.
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:35 pm

This post has been moved to the General Chat + Introduce Yourself section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman