Those who bought a flat/house in Germany, how did you choose a property?
    serenity007
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Those who bought a flat/house in Germany, how did you choose a property?

by serenity007 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:55 am

Hi,

I am currently looking for somewhere to buy in Germany but am struggling with how to approach it largely as there is so little choice.

For context, I live in a small town in MV which isn't the most desirable area. At any given time there are only about 6 properties for sale here, with about 1/3 sold as investments with tenants already living there, 1/3 either in need of complete renovation or a lot of work and 1/3 far too big and out of my price range. I'm in no rush to buy, but it leaves me wondering if the 'right' property will ever come up.

For those of you who have bought property here, I'd love to know how you knew the property was right for you. How long did you look?

Did you go for an Altbau or spend more to get a newer home with fewer potential issues? Did you have to compromise on location or spend more than you had intended?

AmaDeY1993
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: Those who bought a flat/house in Germany, how did you choose a property?

by AmaDeY1993 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:10 am

Searched for over 2 years. Gave up at some point and then finally found and bought a 2 family house from https://prian.info/cy/germany/hamburg/hamburg-city/houses/ this summer. In the end we had a lot of luck. It's the neighbour village to where we lived before. My commute to work is the same as before and my wife needs about 10 minutes more now. Only downside is it's a village with 5000 people but there is Penny, butcher and 2 bakers so thats fine. Also 10 minute car ride and we are in a city.
  • MrOsborne
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Those who bought a flat/house in Germany, how did you choose a property?

by MrOsborne » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:25 pm

All the home sites aggregate MLS listings. Some allow FSBOs to manually enter their sales, but all the sites are 99.9% the same. It's mostly a matter of which interface you like most.