How to Deal With International Shipping
  • Jodie
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

How to Deal With International Shipping

by Jodie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

Am all approved and about ready to start my campaign. Been ramping up on Facebook and have a lot of interest. I was hoping to keep sales to the US and Canada, but a person from the UK and one from Germany inquired as to whether it will be available to them.

Kickstarter provides one option for overseas shipping. Originally I was going to limit it to Canada and make the additional charge reflect the cost of shipping there. Germany and UK shipping is a whole lot more for this item, so I can't eat the cost. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Jodie

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: How to Deal With International Shipping

by sbriggman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:07 pm

First of all, would definitely recommend checking out this post on shipping: http://stonemaiergames.com/how-to-provi ... ive-guide/

If you don't want to open it up to customers outside of US/Canada, but still want the sales, you could take down their information and direct them to a pre-order form or order form upon completion of the project? I'll think about some other options and circle back.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • Jodie
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Jodie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Perhaps I could make it open only to US folks and in the description add a line to the effect that if a person is from another country please email me for a quote on the extra for shipping. I suppose if they don't send me a check I could not send them the clock and refund their $ through Amazon Payments. When I was getting my feet wet by being a pledger I thought I saw one that at the end accounted for a difference in shipping. At the time I assumed it would be an option in KS to set that up when I set up my campaign. Hum... perhaps it was an Amazon Payments function...
    Thanks for running it through your head for me!
  • drlouisechughes
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by drlouisechughes » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:31 am

You can have a section on your project page outlining the extra shipping costs and ask international backers to pledge with the appropriate extra added on. Make it clear that you will not ship the item without the extra payment to cover shipping costs. I really dislike projects that are only available in the US and know that i am not alone in this.
    Funded!!! Electron microscopy artwork http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... endar-2014

Funded!!! Human chromosome jewellery. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... collection
  • Jodie
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Jodie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:19 pm

That's the way to do it!
    Looking at the way KS has it set up, if I choose shipping anywhere and include US shipping in the price, KS has the reward pledge info read that shipping is included anywhere in the continental US. I will add a section to my project page instructing the amount to add for specific countries. Might add a lower third to my video saying that shipping outside the US is available and to look for the instructions below.
    Thanks so much Dr. Hughes!
  • sclea
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by sclea » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:44 pm

A second way would be to have different pledge levels for different shipping locations. e.g. a pledge of $50 to ship to USA, $55 for Canada, and $65 for the rest of the world.

Make it very clear at the pledge what the shipping is, I want to see this information as close as possible to the pledge, with clear instructions. I hate websites that hide this kind of thing in small print, or until you are halfway through the checkout.
  • GaryH
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by GaryH » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Seperate rewards that include overseas shipping rates is the easiest, but make sure you include adequate charges for the shipping. It can add up in a hurry. I see many projects structured this way.
  • Petrolius
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Petrolius » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Well, yes the shipping cost is a difficult theme.

Really someone needs to study it carefully during the creation of the campaign.
    S-morishita
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by S-morishita » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:18 am

I don't know if my input will help but what I did for my kickstarter was I included shipping as part of the expenses for the campaign. I've worked with shipping my comic books from my online store and realize the issue that I was having with the shipping cost turning up much higher then what I charged. So I think including shipping in the overall cost might be able to help but that's just my thought. My kickstarter hasn't finished so this is based off of separate online store orders that I received and dealt with ^^;
  • Savage71
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by Savage71 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:38 pm

As my KS camping is my first one, I decided to limit it to in the U.S. only this time around. Shipping the rewards I am offering would be very expensive.