What does it take to raise $1M?
  • alexissmith
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

What does it take to raise $1M?

by alexissmith » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:34 am

One day I want to just go for it and try to get a huge campaign going on. I see tons of healthy campaigns raise funds in the hundreds of thousands, but very few in the millions.

I see that most of the products in the million dollar range are not that much better than the others, so I know it all comes down to marketing.

What separates a $100k campaign from a $1M campaign? Do they just have huge advertisement budgets or what?

• WildFlower
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: What does it take to raise $1M?

by WildFlower » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:26 am

I think in addition to marketing it has to be a product that can cause discourse. Have people talking about it due to the marketing and have places like buzzfeed make a post about it without you even paying for it since it's such a interesting product. So marketing to get the word out and have a product that can take it even further.
    Bobi Necklace, the bobby pin storage necklace. http://kck.st/2ujG806
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: What does it take to raise $1M?

by sbriggman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:38 pm

This is a very good question.

Marketing budget definitely factors in, along with product-market fit. It certainly helps when there is a built in consumer community that can talk about the product if it's cool, innovative, or particularly useful.

You can come up with awesome functionality or a product that does a lot, but you can't really fake demand. You can only uncover it. You can get people "excited" but you can't change the core demand in the marketplace.

I think the best products and entrepreneurs discover a demand for something that most people didn't realize was out there.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.