Coffee Is For Closers
  • InfiniteHorizonsUly
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

Coffee Is For Closers

by InfiniteHorizonsUly » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:59 am

As we roll through 2014 and our community builds, having as many tools in our crowdfunding skill set will be essential. We are crowd. All of us have something to offer. Crowd Sourcing in a crowdfunding forum is essentially what we are all doing as project creators and potential creators.

This post is created with the hope that all of you, the crowd, participate. And since most of you are--or soon will be--crowdfunders, I hope to share tips, ideas, and the psychology behind my "day job" as a retail salesperson. I pitched the idea of a Sales section of this forum to Sal and he suggested I create a thread or two and see if anyone participates.

If non of you do, that is fine. The amazing thing about the internet is that the words I am typing now may be read--and maybe help--creators years later. I am confident in saying that I believe 2014 will be the Tipping Point for Kickstarter and crowdfunding as a whole. It was not long ago that a grandmother in Kansas had no idea what ebay was, let alone become addicted to it; nor was it long ago that a middle aged florist from Derry, New Hampshire had never heard of Twitter, let alone start tweeting 56 times a day. . . . .

Every day on the floor, since I discovered this amazing world, I slip in crowdfunding or Kickstarter as my own field test. I do not say I had a live campaign--that would get me fired! I just slip it into the conversation, to try to gauge how many people heard of this universe. I have found one.

Just one person.

Before I start, I would beg everyone of you to read, either as an actual book (ya know, the homes of silverfish?) or a file trasnfered to your media device, the work of three people. First, anything by these two is a great start:

Malcolm Gladwell and Seth Godin.

And if I won the lottery, I would send the following book to anyone of you who reqested a copy--it is that good. It will change your life if you wish to make a living in marketing, advertising, sales or crowdfunding.

The book is: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, by Robert B. Cialdini, PhD http://amzn.to/1ipafZq

There is no need to get into why. I just beg you to order it NOW. Every page is mind blowing. Have any of you heard of how powerful using the word BECAUSE is when you ask someone for something? Well, imagine that I said, "There was this study they did." Exactly who are they? Well, this book does not do that. It cites the actual study. Because I know many of you will not order the book, but I want to help, please at least read this article> > http://hbr.org/2001/10/harnessing-the-science-of-persuasion/ar/1

(sorry, I had to do it. Hope some of you caught that)

Also, after reading that article, if you still do not want to buy the book, PLEASE read this interview. I mean--maybe some of you will not read the above link and some will not even read this next link>> http://hbr.org/2013/07/the-uses-and-abuses-of-influence/ar/1

Now, some of you still have not clicked anything and I am about to lose you. Maybe you are one of those people who refuse to drill down when you are reading something on the net. Ok, let me give those people this:

HBR: I’m going to run a few scenarios by you to explore how people can influence others more effectively at work. First, imagine that you’re an employee trying to behave entrepreneurially. You need resources to jump-start a great business idea. How do you get people to help?

Cialdini: It requires prework. People will help if they owe you for something you did in the past to advance their goals. That’s the rule of reciprocity.

Get in the habit of helping people out, and—this part’s really important—don’t wave it away when people thank you. Don’t say, “Oh, no big deal.” We’re given serious persuasive power immediately after someone thanks us. So say something like “Of course; it’s what partners do for each other”—label what happened an act of partnership. With that prework done, a manager who subsequently needs support, who needs staffing, who maybe even needs a budget, will have significantly elevated the probability of success.

I hope you are starting to see why I feel reading Cialdini will help you in all aspected of your business life, rather at your day job or in the crowdfunding world you have discovered.

::::::::

I also wanted to design this post as a demonstration of sales techniques. The above is something I do everyday. The more I type, the more I realize the hubris and audacity of my pitch to Sal. I am Nobody. I sale led flat televisions and bluetooth speakers. But there is more: I have been a salesperson for a decade. It is like trying to explain how I bend a note playing blues harp, or the exact muscles used in my ring finger when I phrase a note on guitar. I did not plan on constructing this post as a sales pitch. It is just something I do when I am trying to persuade someone. Persausion, in my world is positive. I am trying to transfer knowledge and skills I use to survive on what is oftena brutal sales floor inside a forum post. But what I did was a technique that everyone of you can employ in your campaign.

I call it Tailoring.

Or Fitting.

Maybe that is the actual name. I have read many sales books over the years, phychology books, academic to light reads (a good light read is "How We Decide, by Jonah Lehrer>>>http://www.amazon.com/How-We-Decide-Jonah-Lehrer/dp/0547247990) and sometimes the source material is lost in the basement of my mind. But the idea is often peeled away and studied in many sales and NLP books.

It is simple. There are different types of people. Someone who is visual will "phase out" when I talk about the hertz of a new LED 60" television. Someone who is visual may buy one television over the other SIMPLY BECAUSE IT LOOKS SLEEKER. That should be crazy to you. Your mind should revolt at the notion. But let me ask you this: How many cars have you bought, where the color influenced the sale? In fact, how many of you filter CAR COLOR when selecting a new car? How on earth would the color of a car matter to what it will do for you as a vehicle? You are mostly IN THE VEHICLE and can not see the color 98% of the time. But, as you walk out of the grocery store--the sunlight slants down and makes the new paint glitter in such a way it makes your heart resonate. You congratulate yourself on picking such an awesome color and beautiful car.

The above paragraph was to illustrate how important trivial features can make or break a buying decision. As a salesperson--that is really what you are when you launch a camapaign--you need to study why people buy, what makes them buy and what types of buyers exist. Since crowdfunding is an online marketplace, it should be part of your job and my job, to try our best to understand how people behave and buy online.

And one thing I know--from years on reddit--is that the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything, could be at the end of this post and nobody would ever find it. Why?

tl;dr

Some folks refuse to read a Wall of Text. Since the goal of this post is to impart knowledge, the quickest way most of you will get the maximum return is to buy Cialdini's book and study everything he has to offer. I had to fit the post to as many people as possible. In a one-on-one sale, this is done by studying the responses the client has by your demo--this is impossible to do in a project platform. Now, some of you "know" your target demo and tailor your pitch to them. . .but maybe that is faulty logic. Do we really know our potential backers? It is a beautiful buying space. Think about it. . . The backer is alone and online, inside their own head and focused on your project and that pledge button, social proof is stripped away.. Maybe the "most popular menu item" effect factors into viral campaigns--but having a runaway train project is often a fluke and if you ask the creators how they did it, they shrug and say. "I don't know, it was like magic."

Magic can be learned.

I felt that no matter how compelling I could make my plea, some of you would never EVER click one of those links, to capture ("close") those people, I just copied/pasted something in the article I found most could relate to, from one of the articles. This is tailoring. Your project can be designed in such a way, to try to resonate with every type of customer type. I have developed my own buyer type, and you one day will do the same. Many project managers, being creative types, my hate salspeople. But in reality, this is the world we are in on Kickstarter. It may be called a pledge, but it is money. And "getting" people to part with their money is one of the hardest skills you will learn. You must be ethical. At all times. But once you learn how to HELP people make a buying DECISION you will feel a sense of accomplisment that is as addicting as a drug.

I am obsessed by sales , because I have been paid on a recoverable draw situation for 4 years in my previous furniture sales position and recoverable draw is the commisison structure of my new role as an electronics salesperosn. What is reciverable draw? Let's just say--in a way that frightens new salespeople--I pay for the privalege of talking to the customers who walk onto my companys showroom floor. Being under that kind of preassure caused me to focus all of my energies on not building my draw bank up. . .

I have survived. I have done well. Very well, by many standards. I think a big reason why is because I feel a great salesperson is a broker of information, filled with passion and not afraid to hide it, who helps others make the right choice that benefits the both of us. It is strange that I found myself miserable.

Life is complicated. In fact, certain personal things happened in my "day job" that led me down the path of crowdfunding. I do not know how long my goal of being a full time artist will take. Maybe none of you have a bad feeling about "selling" and are fine with directly asking friends, families and strangers to pledge their money so you can take an idea and try to make it a reality. For those of you who find it difficult, I hope to share as much as I can and maybe even make you love sales the way I do!

The answer? Why 42 of course! :lol:

If you would like to see my art, then visit my tiny node on the web, click>>> www.starsongsandmoondreams.com
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Coffee Is For Closers

by sbriggman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:50 pm

"great salesperson is a broker of information, filled with passion and not afraid to hide it." Great quote :). I just added this thread to buffer to be tweeted out.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:54 pm

"Get in the habit of helping people out, and—this part’s really important—don’t wave it away when people thank you. Don’t say, “Oh, no big deal.” We’re given serious persuasive power immediately after someone thanks us." I like this also, especially getting into the habit of helping people out.

In my experience, when you get in the habit of helping your potential customers out without the expectation of anything in return, it does wonders for business if you have a good product/service. Zappos is a good example of this with their stellar customer service. You need to invest in the relationship and build trust or rapport.

It's harder to do this with other industry professionals (due to competitive nature), but I think this is also a really valuable skill to do with people in your industry that sell similar services or have similar goals. This is how Vaporstarter and I are now working together on PitchFuse (http://www.pitchfuse.com).
  • InfiniteHorizonsUly
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by InfiniteHorizonsUly » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Sal, thanks so much for tweeting this out and participating! And I love your new joint venture. Once I ship my rewards I will begin the creation of the art for my next campaign and plan on a late April launch. I can not wait to use pitchfuse, now I realize how vital the campaign before the campaign is!!

What I love about Cialdini's advice is that I often help others because it makes me feel good and many people have helped me in the past. And what I will do with every customer is always add extra items to their orders. I want every transaction to exceed the value of the purchase price.

If someone pledges in a t-shirt reward and when the package arrives two t-shirts are inside the customer will be overjoyed. This idea is part of my nature. I want to give more then I receive. But for some projects that do not have the budget for secret gifts, the power of a doodle and very personal hand written thank you card goes very far.

I always write thank you cards for my retail sales customers. It was mandatory at my previous job, but it was something I did when I had my first sales job at Tweeter Home Ent. (They folded before Twitter took over the planet, but I often imagine how much fun Tweeter would have had with Twitter) in 2001. I would have customers come back and tell me they only came back to buy from me again because they had never gotten a hand written thank you card before from a salesperson.

I am writing the rough draft of my next addition to this thread about being confident and self assured as a campaigner (salesperson) with the "asking for directions" analogy I learned from a fellow salesperson, Keevis. He was part of a liquidator crew and those guys were a hard core, grizzled sales crew--but filled with honor and integrity.
    If you would like to see my art, then visit my tiny node on the web, click>>> www.starsongsandmoondreams.com
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:56 pm

"I want every transaction to exceed the value of the purchase price." - Great mission.

Love this one talk by Tony Robbins that underscores the concept above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNWksS-8Cs0

I like how he says innovation is only meaningful if it adds value to the customer and the aim of every business is to provide more and more value to the customer and make them feel like they got an awesome experience/deal by meeting their needs so well and going above/beyond.
    KylieShorta
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by KylieShorta » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:09 am

I read this book too! What principle do you guys implement?
    BerryHorn
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by BerryHorn » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:12 am

I have recently finished the book "The Psychology of Persuasion" enjoying a cup of Mushroom Coffee. You can't give up reading once you have taken this book. The coffee kept me focused all day and night long to finish it. Once I had some sleep problems as I was drinking too much regular coffee I had to try mushroom coffee. This one was given by one of my partners, when at one of the conferences I complained about the digestion problems. BTW, the book has mentioned the principle of reciprocity. Now, I just feel indebted to my partner, for this coffee.
    Connorwal
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Connorwal » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 am

BerryHorn wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:12 am I have recently finished the book "The Psychology of Persuasion" enjoying a cup of Mushroom Coffee. You can't give up reading once you have taken this book. The coffee kept me focused all day and night long to finish it. Once I had some sleep problems as I was drinking too much regular coffee I had to try mushroom coffee. This one was given by one of my partners, when at one of the conferences I complained about the digestion problems. BTW, the book has mentioned the principle of reciprocity. Now, I just feel indebted to my partner, for this coffee.
    The principle of reciprocity works all the time! I have tried this coffee too, it helped me a lot!
  • JordanAvery
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by JordanAvery » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:09 pm

“Coffee is for closers” is a reference to a line in Glengarry Glen Ross, a 1992 movie starring Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, Kevin Spacey, and Alec Baldwin. It is a great scene in a pretty good movie.
  • AlexWilliams
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by AlexWilliams » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 pm

I liked the movie, and the intent behind this replica is unique. Indeed, coffee is an expense for the business, but it's worth it. My go-to website when it comes to coffee is https://www.thecoffeemaven.com/guides/nespresso-vs-keurig, and there I can find everything, from the best coffee beans to the best coffee machine. For a coffee lover like me, this is an amazing discovery. Thanks for the book recommendation though, I think I'll enjoy a tasty cup of coffee while reading it. Also, the link you provided, it's not working, so consider doing an update.